Carbonized bamboo vs strand vs other HW

coll_3April 27, 2011

Hello-

We are remodeling our kitchen and I just met with the contractor. In the contract he has written carbonized bamboo floors, but now that I am researching it here that might not be the best floor for a busy family of 5 (3 boys are 7,5,3). It sounds like durability might be an issue. I need to cover 850 SF, which includes a family room, hallway and small bathroom. What would suggestions be for which type of flooring to use (the most durable)? We are going to get cherry stained cabinets and will have granite counters. We are on a tight budget. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boxers

its not the wood but the finish that needs to be durable. Are you talking site finished or factory finished? Your happiness will be to choose a wood with some natural graining so any problems will be hidden. Products with a low shine finish won't show dirt and scratches. Your walking on the 'finish' not the grain of the wood. FF products for the most part have aluminum oxide which is very abrasive resistant and long lasting, easy to care for.

Bookmark   April 29, 2011 at 3:37PM
coll_3

It would be factory finished I am assuming, but I thought it was not possible to apply a "finish" to bamboo? I guess I need to ask my contractor more questions. It sounds like we want a low shine-anything else I need to look for/ask about? Thanks so much for the feedback.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 5:54PM
boxers

of course there is finish on bamboo flooring. Most will use aluminum oxide with urethane. Very durable and available in a matte finish.

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 2:28PM
More Discussions
Somerset Country Hardwood Made in China
After ordering 1650 sf of Somerset Country hardwood,...
blondie859111
Need help getting ink/marker off hard wood flooring
Anyone had a child mark on their hardwood floors with...
mattsarmymom
Need advice. Subway tile on uneven kneewall
So I was kinda pissed off when I walked into my bathroom...
Michael Coates
Indusparquet...opinions, please
After a frustrating on-off search for over two year,...
joyintx
Best flooring for dog who doesn't 'hold it'
Hello Everyone- I am moving into a new house. The house...
krylander
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™