garage door and opener recommendations

marvelousmarvinMarch 30, 2007

I'm in Orange County, and the garage door is getting warped to the degree that its almost scrapping the car so I probably need to get a new one. As I'll probably need to get a new garage door, I think I might get a new garage opener as well. Does anybody have any recommendations who to go to for this?

I would have gone to Sears this weekend for their sale, but it seems from the posts that Craftman garage openers have lots of problems. I'm not looking for anything fancy, but something that will a best buy type. Same with garage doors. Any recommendations on those? Any specific brands for garage doors?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron6519

Check out Consumer's Reports. Usually a good source.
Ron

Bookmark   March 30, 2007 at 8:59AM
marvelousmarvin

I got the Consumer's Report 2007 Buying Guide, but I couldn't find this information. And, when I went online, CR was recommending Craftman's 53985 as their best buy!

What's the difference between belt, screw, or chain other than price and is it worth it?

Bookmark   March 31, 2007 at 2:15PM
marvelousmarvin

Do garage doors ever go on sale? I went to HD, Lowe's, and Anaheim Doors in Anaheim today to check out garage doors and openers to check out garage doors but I can wait it out if there's going to be any sales.

Bookmark   April 1, 2007 at 12:46AM
johnnynuclear

Check out the liftmaster 3800.

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 9:26PM
bluewidgeon

Marvelous,
The best way to find quality doors & openers is through a good independent door installer in your area (word of mouth from other customers the best way). I've installed doors for Lowes and for our own Company, found that those companies push the lower end doors & openers.
The Liftmaster 3850 is a great choice for the opener (belt drive, battery backup & solid rail construction). It is very quiet in it's class. The previous CR rating was high (#1) for it's predecessor LM 2500. It has a soft touch on the door rather than the fast & tough touch of the Genie.
It sounds that you may get alot of Sun Exposure on your door, stay away from dark color doors.
Garage Doors between companies matchup pretty good apples to apples. Its when you mix a apple with an orange & thought you had a good buy but it is a lesser quality door. Check for construction (1-3 layers)& R-Values as a start. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   April 6, 2007 at 5:31PM
housebaby

Any reason wood is worth the $$ besides aesthetics? Is wood insulated? I don't think wood g.d.s come insulated, do they?

Bookmark   April 15, 2007 at 11:33PM
richardyc

wood is a bad insulator, most wooden door has a R value of 4-6. I am replacing my wooden garage door with a 2" thick insulated steel door that has a R-value of 18, there are only few doors that has higher R value than 18, and its probably overkill. good luck.

Bookmark   April 20, 2007 at 3:39PM
doorguy06

What kind of double sided steel door are you gettin that has on R-Value of 18? Most of them are 10-12.

Bookmark   April 20, 2007 at 6:24PM
richardyc

the raynor centura, I think you replied to my other post. ;)

http://www.raynor.com/homeowners/centura.cfm

I am sure they fudge the number a little bit, most company do that anyway, it's all about how they do the measuring.

Bookmark   April 20, 2007 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Sears GDO does not close
I've searched on the forum without any luck. My Sears...
jerseybob_gw
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™