Need advice on what to do with this desk!

todds_sweetpeaJuly 10, 2013

I got this beast of a beauty at a thrift store for a steal, and had my DH and his burliest friend move it to my in progress crafting space, which unfortunately is in the basement. (Afterwards they said it will die and be buried there because they are NEVER moving it out!) Its got great character, but I'm torn between wanting to paint/distress it (thinking Annue Sloan chalk paint in Old White or Paris Gray) to make it work better in my dark space, and not wanting to cover the beautiful woodwork. Sanding and restaining it is not an option, way too much work for this DIYer, and as previously mentioned, this piece is not moving.) any thoughts? What would you do with this piece?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

What type of crafting do you do?

It's not in so bad a shape (judging from the photos) that a little clean up and touch up would not make it look acceptable.

If you do crafts with heat, solvents, or sharp tools, you could make a protective cover for it. A cabinet shop could make a slip over cover with MDF and Formica and this would be protective of the top surface. I have an old "battleship green" desk that I bought from the telephone company when they went modular. It came with a cover like this that must have been a renovation in years past. I painted the metal parts (to black), put it on casters and is now a combination work-table and tool & hardware chest.

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 12:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
klem1

I'm with uncle Bob,clean it up and use it as is. I see nothing extordinary about the desk that makes it wothwhile to restore.

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 6:21AM
More Discussions
how to buy high end furniture online and save?
Is there a guide to buying highend furniture online? I...
LauraOliver
What happens to returned furniture
We recently received a living room furniture and one...
madness76
Michael Thomas sectional
Recently rented a luxury ski home that featured a Michael...
Christina Stumpf
Need suggestions to soften my recliner
I bought a recliner from China, construction is fine...
biax
casco bay furniture from someone who didnt just join
Hi im looking for reviews on casco bay furniture from...
armstrongarland
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™