phoggieJuly 23, 2012

I just purchased a large DR table and chairs from CL and loved them but when their friend delivered it, there is a gouged place in the table top!

Of course, no one knows how it got there so can not really blame anyone.

It looks like it might have been done while bringing it through a door, but does anyone have any idea what I might do about it? Would a wood filler help?


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The best way to fix this is a "burn in" repair. To do these, you melt a solid resin, then smooth out, match level, color, grain, texture, and sheen. It's not really a DIY level fix. I've done thousands of them and rarely a day goes by that I don't do a few of these. Contact a local furniture repair person, or get a referral from a good furniture store, who should have someone that does this for them.

If the gouge is not too deep, there may be other approaches, but wood putty is not one of them.

    Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 10:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I live in a tiny town and I do not even know where a furniture repair person. Do you have any DIY steps to help me? Thanks

    Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 10:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

phoggie go to google and look for a furniture repair service in your area. Most of these companies will travel 60 miles or more. Most repairs like this will run from $125 to $175 depending on the travel time. A good service will make this look like new and will be worth the money

    Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 1:52PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Barcalounger v Lane v Best or other recliner advice
Hi--I think I've done my homework,and I've read other...
Coaster furniure quality?
I found a dining table and china cabinet online that...
Bernhardt vs. Thomasville for leather.
Thinking of getting a leather sofa for its durability....
Furniture help
Hello My boyfriend and I just moved in and we really...
Penny Dimitrakaki
looking for Marge Carson Used Pieces
Hi there, I am looking to buy used Marge Carson Furniture. Kindly, Barb...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™