How to get a 'pillowtop' feeling on mattress?

gardenspudsJuly 20, 2010

I purchased a "natural" component bed last year which has latex, wool and cotton.

Well, it hasn't softened up like the place we got it said it would, and it's too firm for me. I do like a firm bed, but with some cushion on top for my hips and shoulders.

Since we brought home the new bed, I've tried 3 different latex toppers, but haven't like them because of the "bouyant" feeling (I've tried 3 different densities).

I can't stand memory foam the couple of times I've slept at friend's house with meomory foam toppers.

I bought an eggcrate foam topper last week, and it still seems not quite comfortable.

The past couple of beds before this new one had "pillowtops" and I liked those, but they sagged too soon which is why I went with the latex/coil bed- supposedly it's supposed to last longer without sagging.

What are pillowtops constructed of, and how can I get close to that on my current bed? I looked around at a local store and saw a 2 1/2" thick fiberbed which felt nice to the touch- stuffed with polyfill. The one I looked at had a pretty dense feeling and had "squares" sewn through, like it wouldn't shift or collapse like a down fiberbed (I've slept on those in a couple of hotels and didn't find they provide much extra cushion).

At my wits end. Can't afford another bed right now, and sick of returning toppers...

Barbara

More Discussions
Flexsteel vs. Lane vs. Natuzzi leather sectionals
I'm pretty confused and hoping for some solid comparisons...
tuckerlr
the Sealy Posturepedic 'Belmont' from Costco?
Hello-- Has anyone out there purchased the Sealy Posturepedic...
lenvt
Leathercraft recliner, electric vs manual?
Any opinions, or recommendations? Thanks
greandog
Slats or Boxspring?
Like the title says: Slats or Boxspring to support...
pbx2
Split Mahogany Furniture
In 2003, I purchased solid mahogany furniture (made...
nszzya
Sponsored Products
Scent Elements Candle - Air by Tom Dixon
$115.00 | Lumens
Mildew Cure RTU - 32 oz. - SG0237RTU
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Serena & Lily Gobi Embroidered Sheet Set
Serena & Lily
Black 16-inch Plant Dolly
Overstock.com
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot