Galvanized Steel for Rim and Floor Joist of a Garden Shed

pkochMarch 22, 2009

Hi, Not sure if this belongs here...

I am planning the construction of a strangely shaped (7 x 16) garden shed. Due to the size I can not just get some pre fabricated shed from the big box store. Looking at the sheds that sit in the parking lot of those stores, I have figured out that some seem to come with a galvanized steel construction (rim and floor joist). Above the floor frame those sheds are traditional wood constructions.

I kinda like this idea better then the traditional wood floor frame, but I have no idea where to buy those galvanized steel joists.

I would also be interested in pros and cons and oppinion and links on the galvanized steel joist topic.

Thanks, Patrick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I built a 9'x12' shed with skylights.

Base is crushed concrete.

Foundation is PT 2x6 and landscape timbers.

Floor is 2" thick concrete, hand mixed from redimix bags.

From there on up it is regular construction and materials.

    Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 9:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I haven't seen such a thing but if you get snow there, the gal steel will help protect the bottom of the wall plates etc.

My house has a shed that was built shortly before I bought it, there are not enough eave overhangs and the roof at front and back is flush so there is no moisture protection. When it rains or snow melts, it runs over the slab, and under the wall plate. They also made one corner of the slab too low so there was a huge gap that was a vermin attractor.

If I was building a shed myself, I would make either a raised concrete wall/lip around the perimeter (except the door of course) or use bricks, or perhaps this steel section you are talking about. Anything but a flat slab, you will have nothing but trouble.

If these steel parts mean you DO have a flat slab, you will want to pour it so there is a slight fall to make water run off at the edges, and waterproof under/around the edges of the steel thoroughly.

    Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 7:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Steel framing is very common in commercial work.

There are some tricks and tools that are required.

    Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 2:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

As the others have mentioned can do a very good job building a shed without having to use the galv steel. I never did care for the big box store sheds, that is why I build my own using the crushed gravel floor and using pier blocks.

"Sean McDonagh Racing"

    Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 7:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Bump... C'mon someone out there should know what the galavaniced U chanlel stuff is called and where it could be purchased.
Tradidional wooden rim joist even if it is done with terated lumber might not be the best idea in my case, I do not want much ground clearance csince I do not want this shed to sit too elevated. Galavanized steel seems to be the way to go form me.

Tuff Shed is shurley not mking that stuff only for the purpose of their sheds. So where does the galvanized U -channel come from?

Thanks, Patrick

    Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 11:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Maybe call some metal supply shops in your area and see if they can give you any leads?

pjb999, why do you say that a flat slab will give nothing but trouble?

    Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 10:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Quote: "C'mon someone out there should know what the galavaniced U chanlel stuff is called and where it could be purchased."

It's just regular ol' metal stud framing. You can use 3-5/8" studs or 6" studs depending on your span. Metal studs and their accompanying tracks are available at most of the better-stocked Home Depot and Lowe's stores. You'll need a chop saw with metal blade and a screw gun for fastening, but other than that there's nothing special to it.

    Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 5:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"galavaniced U chanlel stuff is called"

'Unistrut' is one system of steel framing.
It is very expensive compared to conventional steel studs, but also much stronger.

    Bookmark   April 25, 2009 at 11:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Look under steel in the Yellow Pages. Dozens of hits and we are not a great big city.

Next try tubing.

Then try metal.

    Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 9:57PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Sears GDO does not close
I've searched on the forum without any luck. My Sears...
Craftsman Garage Opener Clicks only and LED blinking 5 times
My 1/2 HP Model 139.53641SRT opener clicks to all my...
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
Crown molding garage door
I was thinking of putting crown molding above my garage...
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™