Thomasville Furniture-Is ANYONE happy with theirs?

easttnsusanJuly 9, 2012

Hi everyone,

Just purchased a Thomasville leather sofa, loveseat, ottomans, plus a fabric recliner. None have been delivered yet, but the items looked/felt great in the store. But now I'm having buyer's remorse since I've read so many bad reviews of Thomasville furniture online. Wish I would have found this info before we bought. We got a good deal, but it's still a lot of money especially if the quality is crappy.

We were disappointed to learn that most Thomasville stuff is made in China, and the salesperson told us it would cost a LOT extra to order the same items made in the U.S. We asked him to figure out the difference, and it was over $3,000 extra. That was much more than we could afford, so we caved in and went with the Chinese-made stuff. And from what I've read, the majority of major companies have gone to Asian manufacturing.

Anyway, I would love to happily anticipate our new furniture. It's been about 25 years since we bought new stuff. But now I'm literally sick thinking we've made a terrible mistake and will have a living room full of expensive junk.

Is anyone out there happy with Thomasville stuff they've bought within the last five years or so?

Thanks,

ETS

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rmanbike

Thats interesting that your salesperson told you this. What store did you buy from. Thomasville is a division of FBI. Much of their upholstery now is made in Lenoir NC plant, and a good deal of cut and sew comes from Mexico and upholstered in this plant. But still they production in China under their own supervision. Sorry to say its a lower quality product, but the price difference is not what the sales person is trying to sell you. The stores are independently owned and the stuff coming in from China they have a higher margin plus a greater upfront investment. So the push to sale the import line over domestic. If you paid by credit card, you could try and cancel the order and ask to reverse the charges.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 10:11AM
lindac

I have a Thomasville cherry bedroom set from the mid 1950's that I love!!

But 13 years ago I ordered a sofa, loveseat and 2 ottomans Thomasville leather made in china ( I later discovered)!
The leather on the front was puckered and sloppily applied the cushions were crooked, there were puckers on the arms etc.
So I sent back all the pieces that had problems....think that left me with a loveseat, one ottoman and an extra cushion from the sofa.
The new sofa and ottomans and cushions came about 6 weeks later....puckered...back it went.....repeated a 3rd time....and on the 4th delivery....the trucker knocked on my door and said "maam....you might want to look at these pieces before we unload...I don't think you are going to like them." he was right....and back it all went!!!
Can't remember what I ended up with and am too lazy to look....but it cost $2,000 more....and has been worth every penny!
I hope Thomasville has regained their quality!
Linda C

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 2:15PM
jebtb

We have had a thomasville dresser for about five years now. I just ordered two nightstands to go with it. The dresser is outstanding in all respects. I expect it to be around longer than me.

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
Need Beadroom Furniture
Well, two months ago I changed my home furniture. But...
jazmin07
I want to make a sofa box cushion the right size.
I have two sofas, that I would like to re-upholster....
pisley
Bassett Custom Dining Tables
Anyone out there bought Bassett custom dining tables....
Gregstu
Ethan Allen furniture... comments on quality
We're looking at Ethan Allen furniture. I know it was...
Mercymygft
Online slipcover companies
Need to re-slipcover our Arhaus Greta sectional, and...
kardut
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™