All three garage doors cracked in the middle

jilinFebruary 20, 2006

All three of our garage doors have cracked in the middle on top when we bought the house, which is 11-year old. I noticed 2 of the garage doors have Craftsman 1/3 HP opener, the third one has 1/2 HP Cratsman opener. The previous owner didn't tell us why that happened. Can anyone think of anything that can cause the doors to crack? We are thinking about replacing all the doors. Our concerns are:

1. Will the openers be able to drive any door, or the horsepower kind of limits the weight of door it can drive?

2. Without knowing the cause of cracking, whether new doors will crack again shortly.

3. What should we think about when we shop for new garage doors?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidandkasie

i would think the cracking was caused by either cheap doors or too much force pulling up from the openers. could be a combo of both. the up force is set when the opener is installed, and should be just enough to open the door, yet low enough to STOP opening if you grab the door. this is to prevent damage to the doors and anything else that the door catches. when my wife an i moved into our house, both doors were set to max force on up and down. i realised this when the door tried to pick up my truck by the trailer hitch one day. needless to say, one opener is now deceased(surprisingly NOT the one that pulled on the truck!) and the new one and the other old one are properly set now.

i say get a door company to come out and take a look at them. they may can just put in a plate at the top of each door. they should also be able to tell you if there is some other cause for the cracking.

Bookmark   February 21, 2006 at 1:19PM
More Discussions
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
Sponsored Products
Kichler Courtyard 17 3/4" High Bronze Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Prince Lionheart washPOD - 7303
$34.99 | Hayneedle
Westek 18.7 in. Flourescent White 15-Watt Direct Wire with Pull Chain FA354HW
$9.99 | Home Depot
Fanimation Breckenfield BPW7951 Composite Blade Set - BPW7951CY
$64.95 | Hayneedle
Hampton Bay Flush Mounts 2-Light Outdoor Matte Black Flushmount WB0325
$27.97 | Home Depot
Color Golfer Weathervane - 32 in. - WV-288-NC
$62.00 | Hayneedle
Trademark Global 14 in. NBA Logo 30 Team Chrome Double Ring Neon Wall Clock NBA1
$79.99 | Home Depot
Kichler Ralston Painted Black Outdoor Hanging Light
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™