Craftman GDO stuck open

pdeakFebruary 27, 2008

I have a 1\2hp Craftsmans GDO. It's probably 25yrs old. Has worked great until it stuck in the open position. The wall switch and remote activate the internal GDO switch but the motor will not start. When I rotate the large pully inside the GDO manually - lifting white plastic ring off of the close limit switch - the garage door coupling on the rail moves about 5 inches away from the GDO - the motor starts and moves the GDO coupling on the rail back toward the GDO closing the door again. Weird huh? The door moves freely when disconnected from the GDO. I think there is something inside the GDO between the switch that gets the signal and the motor that is malfunctioning. If there is a $10 fix to this I hate to spend $150 on a new GDO. I know GDO's aren't made to last forever.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

You won't find any parts available for this opener. It's time for a new one. Oh and be careful moving those limits around. It will bite your fingers.

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 12:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
techdave

Hi pdeak, no offence, but Stop playing with this plugged in before you fry your self or get something caught in the moving mechanism!

Get a new opener. I am pretty sure I know what wrong but danged if I am gonna tell you! It aint worht messing with, especially if you got kids or old pets. What is the deductible on your insurance??

Bookmark   March 1, 2008 at 10:30PM
More Discussions
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
Need help diagnosing Chamberlain Garage Door Problem
Hi, Have a 1/3 Chamberlain Liftmaster that started...
koalb01
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™