Garage cupolas

steveinbostonFebruary 8, 2006

We have a cupola on our garage but when it rains hard we have found that it blows into the cupola louvers and soaks the garage ceiling. Any ideas how to fix this cupola? Would tighter louvers help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidandkasie

i feel your pain. part of my garage ceiling fell in during hurricane Katrina due to this very issue. i have not fixed all of it yet, but i did manage to stop the moisture issue. the vent by the garage was actually a false one on my house, you could not even see it from inside the attic. i cut out teh plywood from teh main roof to gain access to the back of the vent and then covered the vent with painted plywood to stop water blowing in. so far it has worked well. now i just have to hang a piece of sheetrock and tape the joints, then reblow the ceiling, then repaint.

you can buy covers with smaller holes, but i chose not to due to cosmetics. mine are old style louvers that were custom made and would take away from the appearance if they were covered externally.

Bookmark   February 9, 2006 at 1:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homeant

Does your garage have an accessible attic? If so, you could install a drip pan that drains through the soffit fascia.

These are made for central air units and also for washing machines. It's basically a large sheet metal pan with a drain hole at one end. A piece of pipe or tubing goes from the drain hole, across the attic, and out through a small hole in the side of the garage or through the fascia and into a gutter.

The pan in my attic (for my central air unit) is large - about 3 feet x 5 feet. If you installed this so it hung just below the cupola, it should catch any rain that gets blown in.

Bookmark   February 11, 2006 at 8:59AM
More Discussions
Shop vacuum
Are there any good 12 -15 amp shop vacs that have 1200-1500...
randalls1
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Wayne Dalton i-Drive vs. Belt Drive vs. Screw Drive
Hello All, I am looking to install 2 new garage door...
rogeroh
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
Craftsman Garage Opener Clicks only and LED blinking 5 times
My 1/2 HP Model 139.53641SRT opener clicks to all my...
nosleep
Sponsored Products
Ulti-Mate Storage Starfire 2-Door Wall Cabinet
Overstock.com
Treated Pine Octagon Gazebo Cupola
Fifthroom.com
Green Hanger - Set of Four
$8.99 | zulily
Commercial Shelving Cover
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Homelegance Weiser 2 Piece Entertainment Center
Beyond Stores