Drive Gear Stripped again

auburn97February 11, 2008

I have a Sears 1/2 HP crafstman garage opener model 139.53413 which had been working fine since I bought my house 4 years ago. Then it went haywire and wouldn't work anymore. I opened the cover and discovered that the genious design for a plastic gear had been shreded somehow. The worm gear looked fine. I replaced the drive gear and cleaned out the worm gear. I could not replace the worm gear because I couldn't get those darn washers out. Well, after re-installing the gear, the garage worked perfectly again and no more sawdust. This only lasted for 1 week. Now, tonight, one of the coldest nights of the year, it decides to stop again. I open up the cover, and more stupid white sawdust....the gear is stripped again.

What on earth is wrong? Why would it work perfectly then all of a sudded go kaput? It must be off axis somewhere, but everything lines up perfectly. I would replace the worm drive if I could get the washers out, but I don't think a new worm and gear are going to solve the problems.

Is it time for a new garage door opener or could I buy a replacement for this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

The most common reason a gear strips so soon is because the door is too heavy or the gear was not lubricated or both. If the door has not been maintained a new opener will do the same thing. You may need to file any burrs off the motor shaft to remove the washers. The instructions that come with the new gear are great.

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 10:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
techdave

Hi auburn, fwiw greased gears on this genius design last 15-20 years.

Also FWIW the shaft lets those washers slide off.
and the endplay on the motor shaft must be correct. iu am pretty sure 53400 series is old, play is probably off.

gearkit for older units is NOT NOT NOT 41a2817

Bookmark   March 1, 2008 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
Custom Wood Garage Doors
Does anyone know or have experience with wood garage...
linda_1010
Need help diagnosing Chamberlain Garage Door Problem
Hi, Have a 1/3 Chamberlain Liftmaster that started...
koalb01
Shop vacuum
Are there any good 12 -15 amp shop vacs that have 1200-1500...
randalls1
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
Sun shines on sensor....
...and garage door will not stay down! Anyone have...
phoggie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™