Sun interfering with infared beam on garage door

dunwiddieFebruary 19, 2006

Hi,

I am having a problem with the sun. When it is lower in the horizon (fall - spring) interfers with the sensors. The 'eyes' are in the shade, and when I cast a shadow in the garage door opening, the door closes with the remote. I assume that the sun cuts through the beam. Is there any way, or any product that will send a stronger infared beam signal to the receiver? Are any garage door brands better than others in dealing with direct sunlight?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
schreibdave

I had the same problem in two different homes. In one case, having sears come out and replace the circuit board worked. In the other I fashioned blinders for the eyes out of cardboard paper towel cores. That seemed to work.

Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 10:55PM
Don_

You can also reverse the position of the sensors. This sometimes takes care of the problem although it's not as easy as the cardboard tube.

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 11:20AM
dunwiddie

Thanks for the info. I am going to try:
1. paper towel rolls over the eyes
2. reversing the eyes
3. moving the eyes farther apart.

in that order. Hopefully that'll help. I hate to go back to the circuit board. I'm hesitant because the garage fails to open even when the eyes are in the shade. I cannot cast a shadow over the door opening.

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 3:54PM
vstech

you could also plant a bush in the line of sight for the sun.
John

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 2:55PM
joemik

I'm hesitant because the garage fails to open even when...

Did you mean to say "fails to close"? Because with every garage door I've ever seen, the photo sensors only affect the door when it's closing. If you really have a problem with it opening, you may need to adjust the open force settings on the opener. These are safety settings that tell the opener to reverse the door when opening or closing if an abnormal amount of force is needed to move it. Yours may be set too conservatively. Consult the owner's manual for instructions on how to adjust these for your particular opener. This problem comes up occasionally in the Home Repairs forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adjusting force settings

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 3:34PM
More Discussions
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Allister GDO not closing with remote
Having a problem with my Allister Access 3500 GDO not...
irishh7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™