craftsman garage door

misty_2006February 15, 2006

I just bought a home and for 3 weeks all the garage door openers worked great. Now I need to be standing within 3 feet of the main unit on the ceiling for the signal to work and open the garage.

Can someone please tell me what I can do ? and I am hoping the words buy a new unit is not my only option.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Don_

Misty it doesn't sound good. If only one remote had short range it would be easier but you say they all are that way. The odds of all remotes needing batteries at the same time is pretty small. It points directly to the logic board which includes the receiver. The logic board is expensive and if you can't DIY the labor is expensive. If you can DIY get the model number off the motor unit. It looks like this. 139.XXXXXSRTX. Go to sears.com or call your local sears parts department and you can get the price. I wish I had a better answer for you.

Bookmark   February 16, 2006 at 5:59PM
stevend

I have a Craftsman door opener model 139.53606. When the remote is pushed to open the garage door the motor runs but the chain belt either doesn't move or just moves slightly. If I try to move the chain manually, it will move by itself about 6" and stop. When I move the chain again, the same thing will happen. When I took off the garage door opener cover, there were shredded pieces of plastic in the bottom. But when I looked at the gears and drives, they looked OK. I need suggestions on whet to do next. If I need to replace any of the gears, is that something that is difficult to do?

Bookmark   March 6, 2006 at 8:59AM
installer01

Try the batteries first. To Stevend: Your main gear is shot. You will need to replace the gear,(big job for homeowner), or replace the unit. If you can do this yourself, then it may be worth a try. If you are going to call sears, forget it. Buy new... Dan

Bookmark   April 18, 2006 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
pippit
Shop vacuum
Are there any good 12 -15 amp shop vacs that have 1200-1500...
randalls1
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
Sponsored Products
Hayes Contemporary Cabinet - Black Oak
Zuri Furniture
DreamLine Unidoor Plus 37 to 44-1/2" W x 34-3/8" D x 72" H Hinged Shower Enclosu
Modern Bathroom
Fire Magic 53924-SL Echelon Single Access Door - 24 x 17 - Left Hinge - 53924-SL
$288.15 | Hayneedle
Door Knockers Bright Brass Door Knocker Ring 4 1/2 H x 4 W | 20539
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
72" Red Cedar Gate
Fifthroom.com
Trevie Satin Nickel Outdoor Wall Mounted Light
$74.95 | Bellacor
Liberty Furniture Messina Estates 4 Drawer Media Chest in Antique Ivory Finish
Beyond Stores
Fairmont Designs Prairie 21" Vanity & Sink Set - Cognac
Modern Bathroom
People viewed this after searching for: