craftsman garage door

misty_2006February 15, 2006

I just bought a home and for 3 weeks all the garage door openers worked great. Now I need to be standing within 3 feet of the main unit on the ceiling for the signal to work and open the garage.

Can someone please tell me what I can do ? and I am hoping the words buy a new unit is not my only option.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Don_

Misty it doesn't sound good. If only one remote had short range it would be easier but you say they all are that way. The odds of all remotes needing batteries at the same time is pretty small. It points directly to the logic board which includes the receiver. The logic board is expensive and if you can't DIY the labor is expensive. If you can DIY get the model number off the motor unit. It looks like this. 139.XXXXXSRTX. Go to sears.com or call your local sears parts department and you can get the price. I wish I had a better answer for you.

Bookmark   February 16, 2006 at 5:59PM
stevend

I have a Craftsman door opener model 139.53606. When the remote is pushed to open the garage door the motor runs but the chain belt either doesn't move or just moves slightly. If I try to move the chain manually, it will move by itself about 6" and stop. When I move the chain again, the same thing will happen. When I took off the garage door opener cover, there were shredded pieces of plastic in the bottom. But when I looked at the gears and drives, they looked OK. I need suggestions on whet to do next. If I need to replace any of the gears, is that something that is difficult to do?

Bookmark   March 6, 2006 at 8:59AM
installer01

Try the batteries first. To Stevend: Your main gear is shot. You will need to replace the gear,(big job for homeowner), or replace the unit. If you can do this yourself, then it may be worth a try. If you are going to call sears, forget it. Buy new... Dan

Bookmark   April 18, 2006 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Ice in garage on mild winter days
We have a two story house with an attached 2 car garage....
boubou64
Allister GDO not closing with remote
Having a problem with my Allister Access 3500 GDO not...
irishh7
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™