Instructions For Replacing Motor Drive Chain Sprocket

billy3pFebruary 6, 2012

The sprocket on top of the motor housing of a 1/3 HP Access Master(made by Chamberlain) has broken off. I have removed the motor housing and can see that the sprocket assembly interlocks with the worm gear as well as the up/down limit switches and contacts. I can also see that there are three sheet metal screws running from inside the housing assembly up through the top which serve to mount the sprocket assembly to the housing. My question is how much of the worm gear and up/down limit switch assemblies will I have to remove? It also appears that the sprocket shaft has one or two spacers that might be held in place by set screws? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

William

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

The part number you need is 41C4220A and is available at any good door opener service company. It comes with instructions. Don't take any shortcuts. This situation usually occurs when the opener is lifting a door that hasn't been properly maintained and is need of new springs. Try releasing it from the opener and operating by hand. It should not be heavy and should stay in place when released about waist to shoulder high.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 11:36AM
billy3p

every gear inside the motor housing looks great with no shavings accumulated or abnormal wear. I have inspected the door rollers and found one to have worked the mounting screws loose. I am wondering if during the last close cycle this roller somehow wedged enough causing excess torque on the motor and resulting in the sprocket shaft twisting/snapping. It is a clean break just at the point where the sprocket meets the housing.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 3:21PM
don_1_2006

That assembly has a bronze bearing the shaft runs through. A heavy door causes the bearing to wear and lets the shaft rub against the steel cover and cuts the shaft to the point where it breaks. I have never seen a shaft break from other causes but I suppose. Check the door balance.

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 9:35AM
More Discussions
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
Custom Wood Garage Doors
Does anyone know or have experience with wood garage...
linda_1010
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Ice in garage on mild winter days
We have a two story house with an attached 2 car garage....
boubou64
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™