Sears Craftsman 1/2HP GDO - Gear & Sprocket Assembly

jonniebFebruary 11, 2009

I just installed a new gear & sprocket assembly since the old drive gear was totally chewed up. The problem I'm having is that when I run the opener, the sprocket will make a clockwise cycle but will immediately do a counter-clockwise cycle in the same distance. I've done it without the chain and with the chain and it's the exact same thing either way. That is what happened initially before I changed the gear & sprocket assembly; the door was just opened 3/4 of the way and then wouldn't move at all (because of the chewed up drive gear). Now with the chain attached to the sprocket, the door moves a few inches up and then back down to where it started from. Nothing is obstructing the sensors because the lights don't blink when this happens and when I deliberately stepped into the sensor, the lights do blink. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

Make sure you put the black cup back on the end of the motor shaft and that it is pressed all the way on. Make sure the rpm sensor is plugged in. If none of these are the issue, then you probably did not have the motor shaft pushed all the way back when you tightened the coupler after replacing the worm gear. Loosen that coupler and from the front of the motor (opposite end in which the coupler is on) push the shaft back as far as it will go. Hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up and try it.

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 4:57PM
jonnieb

Thanks for the reply. I did everything you suggested before hooking everything up. Not sure what the problem is...

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 10:18PM
don_1_2006

I would suggest you run through it one more time.

Bookmark   February 13, 2009 at 4:53PM
More Discussions
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™