refurbishing leather sofa?

katyajiniJuly 23, 2007

I have a five year old Bernhardt leather sofa in dark chocolate brown. The leather looks a little 'used', you know, as expected. Tiny little creases or scuff marks where there has been most rubbing.

Is there some product, or some way, to make the leather look a little better? Much like one can polish up wood a little bit and use stain pencils and make little scratches essentially disappear?

I am so completely ignorant in this regard. Thank you very, very much for any input!

K.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
analytical

We had a furniture guy come out and touch up some scuffed areas of our couch but it seems like over time it wore off again. I have decided to consider it natural patina. :)

There are probably furniture dye experts that could help in your area.

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 2:24PM
kmealy

Yes, it can be done. Depending upon the type of leather (finished or unfinished) there are a different set of products. Finished leather has an opaque coat (think paint) and clear coat (think varnish) on it. Unfinished leather generally has a dye in the hide and may or may not have any type of protective top coat. It can be redyed and re-top coated as needed.

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 5:39PM
dcollie

Certainly! What kind of leather do you have on your sofa? Finished or Aniline?

Uniters, Inc. (under their Leathermaster brand) makes several dye products. A 'Sun Safe' kit is custom made for your soda and you can easily re-dye it yourself armed with a hair dryer and some patience. Most leather sofas have a 'flag' attached under the center cushion, that you can cut off and send in for them to make a dye kit for you.

If you don't need to re-dye, then a simple leather conditioning kit will do wonders to rejuvenate the piece. If you can't find a suitable product on-line, email me off list and I can get a Leathermaster kit to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leathermaster Products

Bookmark   July 26, 2007 at 2:23PM
katyajini

Hi everyone. Thank you so much for your timely responses. I did find Leathermasters and ordered their cleaning/protection kit. I am going to use it tomorrow and will let you know how it works out. They say it should make the leather look better but not good as new.

I also got a leather recoloration cream from Leathermagic.com. This company says the sofa will look as new. I had to send a small leather sample for color matching so I wont have this product till the end of next week.

I want to try the different products on separate pieces and see what works best.

I will take before and after pictures to post.

Thank you again!

K.

Bookmark   July 26, 2007 at 10:53PM
madelinefnk1_aol_com

Hello, does anyone know a place where i can get my cream color sofa dyed a darker color i am in Cameron Park, Ca close to Sacramento, Ca ?

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
Flexsteel vs. Lane vs. Natuzzi leather sectionals
I'm pretty confused and hoping for some solid comparisons...
tuckerlr
how to buy high end furniture online and save?
Is there a guide to buying highend furniture online? I...
LauraOliver
Omnia leather furniture
We have seen a sofa by Omnia that we like - for around...
Susijo
Slats or Boxspring?
Like the title says: Slats or Boxspring to support...
pbx2
Need help identifying this leather sectional.
Originally purchased from Sears
dbruederlin
Sponsored Products
Milano Outdoor Sofa with Cushions, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Zebra 18 x 54 Hemmed Plush Runner
$40.95 | Bellacor
Modern Grey Velvet Loveseat
Overstock.com
Diamond Illusion Pillow Cover in Aqua
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Walters modern leather sectional sofa