Craftsman 1/2 HP Garage Door Opener

spalmer86February 16, 2008

I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP GDO. It has worked fine until a couple of days ago. I tried to open the door, it went up about 3 inches & stopped. The motor didn't grind, hum, tick or anything else. I checked the breaker, the plug, the wires, etc and everything seems to be in proper order.

Is there some sort of internal fuse/circuit breaker that might have flipped? Or any other suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

Remove the cover and check the drive gear. It is white nylon and is near the front of the motor. May be stripped.

Bookmark   February 19, 2008 at 12:03PM
georgegw

Happened to me, too. Removal of 4 screws on the back panel reveals a stripped gear. I called around town, found a repair place that fixed it for 72$. I undid the electrical stuff, removed 2 bolts above the unit and one pin at the far end of the chain drive. Trailed the thing though the length of my Hyundai with a flag on the end. They fixed it in one day.

Good luck with yours.

Bookmark   February 22, 2008 at 11:18PM
techdave

spalmer, no noise at all? are the led on the wall control and the led on the powerhead on? If so check motor

UNPLUG UNPLUG UNPLUG, pull all three motor wires. either color to white should have have the resist of one color to the other. No cont to the case.

bad start cap usually maeks it hum

Bookmark   March 1, 2008 at 10:40PM
More Discussions
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
New construction.. Trying to decide on what flooring for garage..
Ok.. So we are building a brand new house and one of...
Jason143NBPD
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
Ice in garage on mild winter days
We have a two story house with an attached 2 car garage....
boubou64
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™