Info needed on best fabric for sofa.. pet owner

manyblackbearsJuly 17, 2007

I am going to purchase a new sectional sofa. I have 2 small dogs that I allow on my sofas. If I purchase a Chenille fabric sofa will this hold up to dogs claws? I am afraid the Dog's paws will make pulls in it like Chenille sweaters???? Or is it too tightly weaved for that? Does anyone know? Thank you....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dssxxxx

Leather - 3 golden retrievers.

Bookmark   July 18, 2007 at 9:02AM
organic_marzipan

I also agree with leather but looking at a pet friendly apartment guide, I'd also suggest matching it to your pets' hair color. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 2:49AM
snookums

Do their claws scratch the leather?

I had fake leather many moons ago and my cat's claws actually punctured it. I've been leery ever since but I would loooove a nice leather chair someday. I have a cat and a dog.

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 4:57AM
dssxxxx

One of my goldens is on the couch constantly but we never see any scratches.

Bookmark   July 25, 2007 at 1:41PM
affordablefurniture

dogs' claws definitely will scratch leather (experienced with a hyper active pug that hasn't had a claw trim in 3 yrs) and own a leather match sofa. His claws scratched both the leather part and the synthetic part.

My solution, is the magic fabric microfiber or any other thicker foam/synthetic microfiber type of upholstery. Microfiber is easily cleaned with a whip of a damped cloth with water and is resistant to odors. Check out my selections at my store.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sectional Sofas (Fabric)

Bookmark   July 26, 2007 at 8:06PM
vegasmom

We had chenille for a year with a golden retriever and he never hurt the fabric. We got rid of it for other reasons (his hair was one of them) and now have leather. He does scratch the leather (and my hardwood floors) I try to keep his nails trimmed best I can, but..life gets in the way sometimes :)

If your dogs don't shed too much, I doubt the chenille will be a problem. Microfiber would be a good choice. My mom has cats and has micro and it's not a problem.

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
How to add under bed storage?
I love our bed, especially the headboard. Sadly our...
fuzzypawsnewpad
Smith Brothers of Berne - experience with?
Apologies for the dual post - I'm sinking the other...
marys1000
Kitchen Table Repair
Hi. My kitchen table has a crack in it and I was wondering...
marc83
Bassett Custom Dining Tables
Anyone out there bought Bassett custom dining tables....
Gregstu
Online slipcover companies
Need to re-slipcover our Arhaus Greta sectional, and...
kardut
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™