Sears Craftsman GDO won't work.

wink22February 5, 2007

I've got a pretty old GDO (1986 maybe) that I just replaced the nylon gear on. The door worked fine for a day but now the motor will not turn on. When I hit the remote or the wall switch the unit makes a buzzing noise (kind of like someone buzzing somebody into an apartment building) and then stops. I checked the logic board and it looks good, so I'm thinking the motor just crapped out on me. Any ideas?? Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

Check the start capacitor. It's job is to give the motor a little extra kick to get it turning. When it quits it gives the exact symptom you are describing. It is about 6 inches long and a couple inches in diameter. It is located right beside the motor.

Bookmark   February 5, 2007 at 4:34PM
wink22

Thanks for the response Don. The start capacitor looked okay. I wasn't really sure what to look for, but all four wires were connected tightly. After further tinkering I think the problem is that the shaft coming out of motor with the worm drive on it does not turn freely. I have a similar unit on my other garage door and it turns very easily. Any thoughts? Possible that the shaft is bent??

Bookmark   February 5, 2007 at 10:15PM
don_1_2006

I can't imagine that shaft bending. Maybe the motor bearings are worn out. The motor is expensive - around $100.00. Might be time to get a new opener.

Bookmark   February 6, 2007 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
pippit
Sun shines on sensor....
...and garage door will not stay down! Anyone have...
phoggie
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™