Genie, Chamberlain screw drive........both good?

mmksFebruary 19, 2007

We are looking for 2 new garage door openers, we seem to find better deals on the Genie's mainly because of what comes in the packages. Are they equal to Chamberlain's? That seems to be what most are telling us. Any experience with Genie.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

First of all eliminate screw drive openers. They are fine if you have a one piece swing out door found only in warmer climates like California. The chain drive is by far number one in sales and works fine. The belt drive is quieter and almost a must if you have living space above the garage. It would be my first pick. Chamberlain is the worlds largest manufacturer of openers. Last I heard Genie was made by Sanwa Shutter Company. That should tell you something.

Bookmark   February 19, 2007 at 2:38PM
brisonny

why are screwdrives bad? please elaborate

Bookmark   March 3, 2007 at 10:52PM
don_1_2006

Screwdrive openers are not bad. They have their niche but if you don't have a one piece tilting door you don't live in that niche. Genie knows people are buying their screwdrive openers because they are uninformed and are sure not saying anything.

Bookmark   March 5, 2007 at 10:21AM
luke24.5

Of three independent reviews that I've read, the screw drive operation is rated most dependable and quitest. Both Chamberlain and Genie are rated well.

I'm going with Genie because it and Craftsman are all that's available without my driving 80-90 miles.

Bookmark   March 8, 2007 at 3:47PM
doorguy06

That rating is wrong. We work on these things all day, belt drives are the quitest and Liftmaster, Craftsman or Chamberlain are the most durable. I would opt for the belt drive.

Bookmark   March 8, 2007 at 4:20PM
jkc746

I just had 2 chamberlain whisper drive openers installed in my garage and I couldn't believe how quiet they are. I got them at Home Depot. They are belt drive and have a battery backup in case of a power outage. I looked at the genie screw drive but decided on the chamberlain because of the battery backup system. The installer(not associated w/HD) told me I made a wise choice. That the belt drive was way quieter than the screw drive.

Bookmark   March 9, 2007 at 5:37PM
More Discussions
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
Craftsman Garage Opener Clicks only and LED blinking 5 times
My 1/2 HP Model 139.53641SRT opener clicks to all my...
nosleep
Sears GDO does not close
I've searched on the forum without any luck. My Sears...
jerseybob_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™