G.D.Opener worm stop turning after sprocket replacement.

kyler11February 26, 2010

On a sears garage door opener I changed the main sprocket and when I turned the opener on without the chain the worm and sprocket turned fine. When I put the chain on (without the door hooked up) it ran rough like the chain was too tight and it traveled only a few feet on the track. I hit the button again to see if it would run smoother, it only moved a little and then stopped. I hit the button again and all I heard was a short buzz/hum and then a click. I took off the chain and hit the button to see if that would help and nothing. The worm does not turn. I took the sprocket out and tried it again and nothing. Did I burn out the motor? Did it come disengaged somehow? Should I just buy a new one? Please help if you can.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

See if you may have tripped your house circuit breaker. Then check this:

Make sure you put the black cup back on the end of the motor shaft and that it is pressed all the way on. Make sure the RPM sensor is plugged in. If neither of these are the issue, then you probably did not have the motor shaft pushed all the way back when you tightened the coupler after replacing the worm gear. Loosen that coupler up and from the front of the motor (opposite end in which the coupler is on) push the shaft back as far as it will go. Hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up and then try it.

Bookmark   February 26, 2010 at 4:18PM
kyler11

Black cup is all the way on. The machine is getting electricity. RPM sensor was never touched. I double checked and RPM is plugged in. I should have mentioned before but worm was not replaced. Any ideas? Please help and thank you.

Bookmark   February 27, 2010 at 9:37AM
don_1_2006

I would check the wiring especially to the motor and make sure it is well connected. Something could have been bumped. Make sure the trolley is not jammed against the bolt just in front of the motor unit. Even though the worm gear looks good it is important to replace all the new hardwire that comes with the new gear.

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 12:48PM
More Discussions
Shop vacuum
Are there any good 12 -15 amp shop vacs that have 1200-1500...
randalls1
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
Sponsored Products
9 3/4 Inch Outdoor Pocket Light -Verde Green
$37.81 | Bellacor
Glen Isle Dining Outdoor Side Chair Cushion, Patio Furniture
$174.00 | FRONTGATE
GlideRite 5-inch Oil Brushed Bronze Cabinet Loop Pulls (Case of 10)
Overstock.com
Tech Lighting | Brulee Pendant
$173.60 | YLighting
3/4" Brass Traditional Knob
Signature Hardware
LED Pele White Glass Tech Pendant for Lightolier Track Systems
Euro Style Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™