Replacing gears on Craftsman garage door opener

a.mayfield53February 12, 2010

I have a Craftsman garage door opener that the gears are worn out on. I need to replace them. I am not sure how difficult this may be. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Could I be inviting a large problem or is this an easy procedure?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

Most people who are DIY'ers can do it with no problem. The part number is 41A2817 and is available at any good door opener service company. It comes with instructions.

Bookmark   February 12, 2010 at 4:42PM
don2737

I scanned in the instructions that come with the part, on webpage
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1347192/lifter/liftmaster_repair.html

Link below is to the scan of page 1.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   February 15, 2010 at 10:26PM
don2737

scan of page 2 of instruction sheet

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   February 15, 2010 at 10:27PM
grinner56

I just replaced both grears on my unit, I backed off the hanger bolts holding the unit in place, then took off the chain via the tenioner, removed the two bolts from one section of track while holding the track then slowly lowering the one section of track, then removed the two bolts holding the unit in place lowering it to the ground carefully, then i took the unit to a work bench to work on it, if you buy the replacement kit and follow the instructions cafefully you should not have a problen leave enough room on the bench to line up the parts as your remove them. It makes the re-assembly go smoothly when removing the split pins holding the gears to the shaft use the punch recommended in the instruction sheet, it will prevent you from damaging the shaft. even if you have not done too much mechanical work in the past. for the cost of the kit, and the challenge of doing the repair it is worth the expreince. Just make sure you dicconect the power first and use a very sturdy step latter, if you can get a second set of hands to help with the removal and installation that would be a good idea for safety sake. when you install the unit replace all lock washers and take a close look at the bolts holding the track together, lub the chain and clean and grease the track

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 11:29AM
doorsrus

If you are going to do this your self. Make sure the nylon gear is not the only thing worn out. Check the bushings that center the main gear drive as those can be worn too. And do not forget the rookie mistake of not lubing the nylon gear well or you will be doing it again soon. I would say for the average person, get the best price you can from a pro and save your self a headache unless you have all the tools necessary.

Otherwise good luck

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 12:53PM
don2737

I scanned in the printed instructions sheets and added my own photos how to do this here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1347192/lifter/liftmaster_repair.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Liftmaster / Sears gear replacement instructions with pictures

Bookmark   March 12, 2010 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
pippit
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
New construction.. Trying to decide on what flooring for garage..
Ok.. So we are building a brand new house and one of...
Jason143NBPD
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™