black garage door

erineveFebruary 20, 2013

Hi,
We're looking to purchase 2 new garage doors for our remodel and would like them to be black--and I'm having a difficult time finding a manufacturer that will allow this (unless they're made of wood). Overhead has told us we can paint them black after purchase, but it will void the warranty due to insulation issues. Our contractor has told us not to buy wood because they will not last. Can anyone offer us some insight?
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Have you ever owned a black car? It shows EVERYTHING. A black garage door will do the same, along with the addition of being a heat sink and looking like a giant gaping hole in the house. Pick another color.

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 11:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
swimman

The last neighborhood we lived in all the homes had white garage doors. We thought our home could look different and liked the idea of painting the doors black as that would match our black shutters (main color of the house was a tan type of color). I painted the doors black and it looked great. We received many compliments from neighbors as most thought the color combination would not work - but it did.

Never has any issues with the paint peeling over the eight years we owned the home. As well, when we built the home we upgraded the doors with a higher insulation value and they received sunlight for most of the day as they were south/west facing. The exterior of the doors became hot in the summer but there was little difference in the interior temp. of the garage. We never had any warranty issues over the eight years and they never looked dirty although I never cleaned them!

Here's a pic.

This post was edited by swimman on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 14:57

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
Wayne Dalton i-Drive vs. Belt Drive vs. Screw Drive
Hello All, I am looking to install 2 new garage door...
rogeroh
GDO / SENSOR LITES? ONE GREEN - OTHER ?
craftsman 1/2 hp battery key pad ok / remotes &...
bronxbill
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
Sponsored Products
Spring Green Spoonula
$6.99 | zulily
37" Wafford Vanity - Cherry
Signature Hardware
Designers Fountain Outdoor Devonwood 22221 Wall Lantern - Flemish Copper Multico
$99.50 | Hayneedle
WATER & DIRT SHIELD ™ Fleur-de-lis Mandalay Door Mat - Blue
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
Victoria Knob Set - Privacy, Passage and Dummy
Signature Hardware
Fire Magic 53820-SL Dual Drawer - 20 x 14 - Left Hinge - 53820-SL
$582.25 | Hayneedle
Virtu USA Dior 72 inch Single Sink Vanity Set in Espresso
Overstock.com
Bosch French Door Stainless Steel Refrigerator
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for: