black garage door

erineveFebruary 20, 2013

Hi,
We're looking to purchase 2 new garage doors for our remodel and would like them to be black--and I'm having a difficult time finding a manufacturer that will allow this (unless they're made of wood). Overhead has told us we can paint them black after purchase, but it will void the warranty due to insulation issues. Our contractor has told us not to buy wood because they will not last. Can anyone offer us some insight?
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Have you ever owned a black car? It shows EVERYTHING. A black garage door will do the same, along with the addition of being a heat sink and looking like a giant gaping hole in the house. Pick another color.

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 11:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
swimman

The last neighborhood we lived in all the homes had white garage doors. We thought our home could look different and liked the idea of painting the doors black as that would match our black shutters (main color of the house was a tan type of color). I painted the doors black and it looked great. We received many compliments from neighbors as most thought the color combination would not work - but it did.

Never has any issues with the paint peeling over the eight years we owned the home. As well, when we built the home we upgraded the doors with a higher insulation value and they received sunlight for most of the day as they were south/west facing. The exterior of the doors became hot in the summer but there was little difference in the interior temp. of the garage. We never had any warranty issues over the eight years and they never looked dirty although I never cleaned them!

Here's a pic.

This post was edited by swimman on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 14:57

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
Ice in garage on mild winter days
We have a two story house with an attached 2 car garage....
boubou64
Moisture coming up through garage floor
House is in South Dakota. Split foyer. Built in 1977...
ohmmm_gw
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™