Craftsman GDO keypad problem

seashells18February 26, 2006

I have a circa 1993 Craftsman GDO, model 139.53636SRT.

Recently replaced the battery in the outdoor wireless keypad and then tried to reprogram keypad with the manual instructions which tell me to:

1. Press selected code on the keypad...then press and hold the "enter" button. Says keypad will light and blink (I only find it will blink after I let up on the enter button) then:

2. Press the smart button (green on my unit) on the opener end panel and indicator light will flash and the door should begin to move.

Nothing happens in my case. I had someone enter the code while I tried the smart button to be sure we were not using up too much time. The keypad worked fine until I replaced this battery. I have also noticed the indicator light on the unit has started blinking erratically recently. Other remotes work fine.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Don_

Try it this way. Press and immediately release the smart button on the opener and then walk over and enter your 4 digit PIN and press enter. This should take care of it.

Bookmark   February 26, 2006 at 4:32PM
seashells18

Thank you Don,
I tried this and nothing happened. I am really puzzled.

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 6:29PM
Don_

I too am puzzled. Some older keypads used a battery that can be installed backwards. I'm sure this is not the problem but I have to mention it. I guess your keypad has died.

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 7:21PM
seashells18

I believe the battery is in correctly as the keypad lights up and there are directional markings for the battery. First problem in 13 years, so I guess I really can't complain. Many other folks seem to have far more serious problems with much newer models. Just frustrating as it seems like it should be such a simple fix. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
New construction.. Trying to decide on what flooring for garage..
Ok.. So we are building a brand new house and one of...
Jason143NBPD
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™