above garage addition

youngbuckFebruary 7, 2007

me and my fiance were discussing renovations/improvements the other night when the idea of an addition came up. I had thought about it before and I think it would work but would like some opinions.

We have an semi-attached 2-car garage (it's connected but you have to go outside to go inside), and a 2 story house with walk in attic.

The idea is to add a second floor to the garage and to make the extra space livable. Everything would be properly insulated and ventilated and whatnot, including the garage.

I'm not sure how much of a pain it would be to get it done, but that's not really the issue at the moment. I have heard that it isn't good to put bedrooms above a garage due to possible rising fumes. However, I see so many houses that have livable space above garages. Anyh opinions on this matter, or any other ideas that come to mind?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
huskyridor

quote" I have heard that it isn't good to put bedrooms above a garage due to possible rising fumes. "quote

That, my internet friend, is HOGWASH.

I'd suggest getting an architect first and start searching for a good framing carpenter. He'll be harder to find than the architect will. Don't sign with any framer until you've previewed his work and spoken with some of his home builders. If he shows any apprehension about these requests, look for another.

just my .02

See Ya,
Kelly

Bookmark   February 7, 2007 at 11:30PM
ron6519

Depending upon the age of the house and the way the slab was poured in relation to the sill plates you might need to do structural work first to repair damage to the wood on the concrete.
Ron

Bookmark   March 6, 2007 at 6:48PM
joe_mn

does your garage have footings able to support a 2nd floor? I live in MN and we need frost footings that go down 4+ feet below grade. an unattached garage does not need them and can be built on a slab with 12" deep perimeter footings. a nice rambler near me had a garage about 15' from the house and the owner built a breezeway? so the house/garage is 1 unit now. I always wondered what type of footings were on the garage.

Bookmark   March 7, 2007 at 7:17AM
More Discussions
Wayne Dalton i-Drive vs. Belt Drive vs. Screw Drive
Hello All, I am looking to install 2 new garage door...
rogeroh
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
esjbee
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Sponsored Products
Edgewood Black 50 Inch Blade Span Ceiling Fan w/ Black Blade
$199.00 | Bellacor
Reclaimed Wood Coffee Table
$599.99 | Dot & Bo
Zuo Pacific Heights Charcoal Gray Armchair
Euro Style Lighting
ACF by Nameeks ACF ANS25-LC New Space 31-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set - Larch
Hayneedle
Montana Woodworks Homestead Bistro Table Ready To Finish
Beyond Stores
Charlton 42" Bathroom Vanity with Drawers - Espresso w/ Clear or Frosted Glass C
Modern Bathroom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™