Attached or Detached Garage?

tallytomatoeFebruary 15, 2013

I am getting plans drawn up for a new home and was wondering what you guys thought about attached vs. detached garages? The garage would just be for parking vehicles (no shop or anything like that) with stairs leading to storage above. What are the pros and cons of each? It will be a three car garage 40' wide x 25' deep. Is that deep enough for mid size SUVs and my crew cab truck?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobbymac

We recently moved and our new [to us] house has a two-car attached garage. We find it very convenient, especially on those -40 degree days. I put an overhead unit heater in and we keep it turned down to above freezing and we keep our freezer and extra fridge in the garage, along with the treadmill.

Our previous house had a two-car detached garage. It also had an overhead unit heater and we used it in much the same way. One advantage to a detached garage is that if you use it as a shop and have a mishap such as a fire, you don't burn the house down. That is not a consideration for you as you don't plan to use it as a shop.

Overall, we like the convenience of attached, especially given our climate.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 10:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tallytomatoe

Thanks bobbymac - Location might of been helpful also (N. Florida). I think the convenience of being attached is what we want. The storage room above will be conditioned so being attached makes that easier. Can't imagine it being that cold. It was 30 this morning and I was freezing.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
Shop vacuum
Are there any good 12 -15 amp shop vacs that have 1200-1500...
randalls1
Ice in garage on mild winter days
We have a two story house with an attached 2 car garage....
boubou64
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™