Craftsman Garage Door Opener Problem

bruckFebruary 26, 2009

I recently replaced the gear and sprocket in my 1991 craftsman garage door opener. I put the opener back up and everything worked great. The door the started to act up so I adjusted the up/down force to the maximum force. Everything seemed to work fine for a while until now. Now the door opens fine but will only close a foot or two and then reverses. I unhooked the door from the carriage and it still does it which tells me it's not the door. This is an older garage and there is no sensors anywhere. I about ready to give up. Anyone have any sugggestions? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

Did you also replace the worm gear?

If so: make sure you pushed the motor shaft all the way back when you tightened the coupler. Loosen the coupler up and from the front of the motor (opposite end in which the coupler is on) push the shaft back as far as it will go. Hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up and then try it.

If not: The motor shaft is probably shifting and causing the black interrupter cup to move away from the infrared sensor. This will cause the problem you describe.

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 4:37PM
bruck

Yes, I replaced the worm gear also. I took the cover off over the weekend and the black interrupter cup is on and seems to be all the way one. I watched it run and the shaft doesn't seem to be moving. Do you think I should take it apart and see if I have the shaft as far back as it will go? I guess at this point, I don't have anything else to try.

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 12:51PM
don_1_2006

Yes I would do that. Also you might make sure there is nothing blocking the infra red sensors on that small PC board.

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Ice in garage on mild winter days
We have a two story house with an attached 2 car garage....
boubou64
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
New construction.. Trying to decide on what flooring for garage..
Ok.. So we are building a brand new house and one of...
Jason143NBPD
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™