Bedframe sturdy enough for king tempurpedic?

leslie2004July 21, 2011

I don't know if a standard metal one is up to the task - this is a HEAVY mattress. Although that's what they show on the tempurpedic website so I guess they'd know.

We've had the tempurpedic mattress (king) and boxspring (2 twins) just sitting on the floor since we got it years ago. I wanted a completely sturdy base but thought a platform would take up too much room - the bedroom is small and the bed itself really is too big but I valued comfort over appearances.

So now I would like to get it up off the floor and am not sure of the best option. Is a king-sized metal frame that has a third rail up the middle and 2 additional feet on the center of the head and foot rails (but no foot in the center) going to be enough? Seems like it might sag in the center.

If that is an ok configuration are there any recommended brands or are they all more or less the same? Maybe the tempurpedic one would be of a good quality - don't know anything about them except for the mattress (which I love).

Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis

Just buy a decent bed frame and you will be fine.

In our experience somehow memory foam sets are oh so SLIGHTLY harder on wooden beds. Any six or more leg metal frame should be fine.

BTW, make sure you get a king frame instead of two twins. King boxes like you own and king frames are longer than twins.

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 11:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leslie2004

thanks --
I was also planning to come back to this post today to give my own answer to the question in case anyone was searching in the future.

We got the metal frame that Relax the Back sells with the tempurpedic mattresses. It seems plenty sturdy - not at all wobbly. It has 6 legs with one rail up the center (but obviously no center leg/foot which would've been nice).

I didn't realize about the difference in twin length vs the twins sized king pieces - I'm glad the store knew what we wanted/needed!

Boy, moving that mattress out of the way for them to set the frame up was WORK. My husband & I did it ourselves and it was pretty comical. After work the AC had just come on so the temp in the room was in the mid-80s. Maybe moving it on a very cold winter day after leaving the windows open makes it easier. It felt like a huge melted piece of lead taffy.

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 8:12AM
More Discussions
Does Vanguard Furniture make a quality sectional
Hello. I am agonizing over finding the right sectional...
maggiewp
Flexsteel vs. Lane vs. Natuzzi leather sectionals
I'm pretty confused and hoping for some solid comparisons...
tuckerlr
Need Beadroom Furniture
Well, two months ago I changed my home furniture. But...
jazmin07
Quality Outdoor Furniture Brands/Materials?
I am looking to buy an outdoor dining set, chaise loungers...
wendage2
Restoration Hardware at a Discount??
I love the furniture from RH but it is way out of my...
pooky
Sponsored Products
Harper Tufted Ivory Velvet Queen Bed
$4,429.00 | Horchow
Econo Panel Bed - Light Espresso - 575-TE
$149.99 | Hayneedle
Abbyson Living Kingston 5-piece Espresso Sleigh King-size Bedroom Set
Overstock.com
Metro Bed
| Italy Design
Pianca | Trama Simple Storage Base Bed, Queen
YLiving.com