Air compressors - filter question

pjb999February 4, 2009

When I went for the first time to Princess Auto (a Canadian institution) I had a bit of a field day, and bought some air accessories, including a filter. I have a cheapie oilless baby compressor and a finishing nailer and stapler, and I've reasoned if the air (esp from a cheap compressor) is a bit dirty, it's going to wear the tools more. I am careful to oil them, but figured I'd throw this filter on the setup more or less for fun. Not sure how long a filter is good for, and whether it should go on the compressor end, or the tool end, or not at all. Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

You want to filter the air coming into the compressor.

Bookmark   February 4, 2009 at 2:44PM
maryland_irisman

I agree with mike kaiser....and yes,in my opinion, a filter is worth the effort. I don't know the type you have....I used one of those foam "cut to fit" filters. When it looks dirty, I take it off and bang it against my leg a couple of times and put it back on. In my environment, I've only had to do this about 2 times a year. You should pull the tank drain plug often to get the water out.

Bookmark   February 4, 2009 at 10:36PM
pjb999

That makes sense, I don't know if there is any sort of filter on there now, but the filter I have now is made to be installed in the line going to the tool, ie on the compressor output. One obvious use would be for blower wands if you are repairing sensitive equipment, so you are not blowing contaminants everywhere....

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
Moisture coming up through garage floor
House is in South Dakota. Split foyer. Built in 1977...
ohmmm_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™