Need help with garage door on first home

jayebo13February 24, 2013

I just bought my first home and it came with a garage door opener. The home is only 5 years old so the opener can't be that old. When we did the walktheough the door worked just fine. Needless to say when I opened it after closing it did not work like before. When I push the button on the wall the door begins to open and stops about 4 inches off the ground and the door slides back down but does not go to the ground. It remains open about 2 inches. When I pull the manual release it falls to the ground.

Can anyone offer any advice? I have never had a opener and this is all brand new to me. It is a chamberlain whisper drive opener. Anybody know anything about this or has seen this before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Pull the manual release. Then operate the door by hand through the full range from top to bottom (or vise versa). Any problems noted? The operator is not a cure nor substitute for a door that operates smoothly and easily. Those problems, if any, must be addressed first.
If the door does not operate properly by hand, a new opener will not be entirely satisfactory-- or perhaps not at all--just like it is now.

This post was edited by bus_driver on Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 11:23

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
Ice in garage on mild winter days
We have a two story house with an attached 2 car garage....
boubou64
New construction.. Trying to decide on what flooring for garage..
Ok.. So we are building a brand new house and one of...
Jason143NBPD
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™