Help! Mixed Widths - 3.25 & 2.25 ?

lpritchettApril 22, 2010

Hi,

I wasn't originally considering mixed widths, however, the flooring I want has been discontinued and I can only find about 400 sq ft in 3 1/4 and 600 sq ft in 2 1/4 for my approx 1,000 sq ft area. I have seen mixed widths in wider planks and like the look, but I haven't seen it in narrower widths like this. How do you think this would look and how would it affect the complexity of the install and the labor cost? The product I am looking at is 3/4" solid maple in an ebony finish.

thanks,

LP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lpritchett

Hi,

I may not have been clear - I am not installing myself, but I am curious as to the difficulty of the install due to how it will impact the labor cost. Also looking for opinions on the look, if anyone has seen mixed install w/ narrower widths like this.

thanks!

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 6:42PM
woodfloorpro

No problem at all. Bruce's Ranch Plank was very popular with the 21/4 - 31/4" combination.

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 11:36PM
proinstallpa

Hi, I'm a pro flooing installer. I would say an inch difference in the width of the boards shouldn't affect labor costs at all. You just have to establish the pattern of size changes with your installer so it comes out evenly spread. I'd say 1 row of 3.25 for every 2 rows of 2.25 should about even you out. But the width of the plank has nothing to do with difficulty or complexity, a 2.25 inch board installs the same way a 5 inch board does, it just takes a hair longer to do.

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 9:11AM
lpritchett

Thanks, I wish my installer shared your view. He said he would charge an add'l $400 and wanted even quantities of both sizes, which isn't possible, as the product is discontinued.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 2:30PM
woodfloorpro

Quantities of both sizes is indeed possible to figure. 400' of 31/4" = 1,477 lineal ft. 600' of 21/4" = 3200 lineal ft. or as proinstallpa said two to one.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 3:04PM
lpritchett

The installer wants 60% 3.25" & 40% 2.25" which I can't do, as it's dc'd and I've only found 400 sq ft in the 3.25.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 10:48PM
idrive65

I don't see why he couldn't run two rows of 2", then a row of 3", and repeat it.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 3:11PM
lpritchett

I don't either. I will talk to him about it. You don't think it would look strange?

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 11:36AM
woodfloorpro

You need a different installer not one so dense. I would not trust him at this point to do the right thing.

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
Un-level kitchen and associated issues...
So my wife and I just finished a renovation of our...
hundredwaters
Wood-flooring vs tile in home with dog
I'm remodeling my 2-story condo and replacing flooring....
LARemodel
What cork flooring manufacturer is best?
I am leaning towards cork flooring in my kitchen reno...
laurarenos7
Tile over fiberglass?
Long story short, we added some porches to our new...
Nick Anderson
Suggestions for Beach House Flooring
Building a 2500 SF house and 500 SF carriage house...
cobbyw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™