Craftsman 1/2 HP Opener

wardyduJanuary 4, 2008

OK..I refuse to give-up...

So, the sprocket on top of the motor unit of my craftsman 1/2HP garage door opener broke off. I ordered the entire sproket assembly, and worm gear unit and installed it myself following the instructions. Not very hard, made alot of notes and put everything back together. When I pushed the button for the much celebrated first test, the sprocket turned clockwise 3 or so times and then came right back the other direction. I tried this with the trolley in the open position, closed position, and every other position along the track...same result every time. My sensors work, one solid green, the other solid orange...No lights flash on the opener...I've tried the opening/closing adjustments and also the opening/closing force...Nothing works? Finally, I had a tech come out for a $20 service call and he told me it must be a bad circuit board...He didn't do anything to test this and honestly didn't seem to be very educated on the subject matter...Before I spend the money on a new opener, now having already installed the new gear, I would love to make sure I'm not missing anything?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vw8424

I am having the same exact problem, went through everything 4 or 5 times and it does the same thing. Any help would be appreciated.

Bookmark   January 5, 2008 at 12:04PM
don_1_2006

Make sure you remembered to put the black interruptor cup on the motor shaft and that it is pressed all the way on.

Bookmark   January 6, 2008 at 12:32PM
wardydu

So that black cup is NOT to spin????

Bookmark   January 8, 2008 at 5:52PM
don_1_2006

That black cap must turn with the motor shaft. The shutters must travel between the RPM sensor on that little circuit board or you will have the exact problem you describe in your first post.

Bookmark   January 8, 2008 at 6:01PM
wardydu

well, I got it a little tighter...doesn't spin to the touch anymore...it is traveling between the RPM sensor...still same issue???? Shouls I take a washer or 2 off of the shaft and get it even tighter??

Bookmark   January 8, 2008 at 8:32PM
doorguy06

If you followed the instructions in the box you probably replaced the worm gear as well. Remove the black cap and loosen the coupler up on the end of the shaft. On the front of the motor, where the other end of the shaft pokes through, push the shaft back as far as it will go and hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up. Put the black cap back on and see what happens.

Bookmark   January 8, 2008 at 10:06PM
wardydu

IT WORKS.....Thankyou SO MUCH, you saved me $ and taught me that perseverance is always wins...

Bookmark   January 9, 2008 at 8:21PM
More Discussions
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Craftsman Garage Opener Clicks only and LED blinking 5 times
My 1/2 HP Model 139.53641SRT opener clicks to all my...
nosleep
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
Need help diagnosing Chamberlain Garage Door Problem
Hi, Have a 1/3 Chamberlain Liftmaster that started...
koalb01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™