Cost to repair brick column

kats_meowJanuary 18, 2010

We are considering buying a 30 year old house with a detached garage. The two car garage is brick. The inspector indicated that the brick column between the two sides of the garage has given way and is providing no support (the brick at places looks sunken in). He says that if you push on the column it moves.

He indicated that 2x4s need to be put in to provide support. I am trying to get a feel for how much it will cost to do this repair including the brick work.

We are in Texas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

I don't know the cost but we had similar problem at our church building,roof(like a carport)was sagging. The brick column was loose. My dad fixed the whole thing by putting a round steel "pole" with steel plate added at top & bottom after jacking the sagging part up & then redoing the loose bricks. Hoping yours is not sagging & just needs new support(could be the metal studs-wouldn't rot out.If it is sagging it would have to be jacked up in that area of garage to get the studs in place, so they would have to get that cement in 1st, then jack ceiling up & then put the studs in & secure & then brick around the studs. My son used metal studs in his basement & liked them. Studs could be bolted into new square of cement if it is crumbling also, probably would need to replace 1 sq ft or so. Need to check requirements for your area. Did I make sense? cement has to be stable & probably new,then studs in place & brickwork.Jacking up ceiling would greatly increase costs. In TX. I think metal studs would work better-no termites. Imagine someone else can give you more info.

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 11:05PM
More Discussions
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
pippit
Shop vacuum
Are there any good 12 -15 amp shop vacs that have 1200-1500...
randalls1
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™