Garage walls

dottygirlJanuary 30, 2007

After 20 yrs. we are going to insulate and put walls and ceiling in our garage. I know most people use drywall and paint it. We are on a farm where dirt blows in ect. and I want something that is easy to keep clean. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NorthHadley

Pine boards from solid pallets if you dont mind picking up the pallets than stripping/pulling them clean. Or purchase rough pine/hemlock or whatever is harvested and milled near you that isn't very expensive.
I have shiplap 6"wide pine boards in my 19x30 garage that I exposed the smoth side out. Have had them up for over 10years with no problems keeping as clean as a garage can be kept in farm country.
I installed it a section at a time when I had the money to buy the lumber. Took a few months to do but is well worth it. I can hang just about anywhere I want without having to make sure I'm on a stud as I would if I used drywall nor do I have to be concerned about putting dings/holes in the drywall.
For the ceiling I have sprayed roughsand finish.

Bookmark   January 31, 2007 at 11:20AM
davey4000

Did you install the boards vertical or horzontal?

Bookmark   February 1, 2007 at 7:01PM
NorthHadley

I installed the two near the ceiling horizontaly the remainder verticly.
Reason was didn't have as much waste as my walls were over 8feet but less than tenfeet so I either added the length I need to an 8footer which ment cutting short pieces or cut some off a ten footer than I would have to be carefull when installing it not to hit the ceiling.
I figured out that installing two of them horizontaly the rest verticaly I wouldn't have to play around with the staggering of seams and having to buy longer boards to make this staggering easier.
This way here I was able to purchase one length and have very little waste.

Sorry for the late reply but haven't been on the forum.

Bookmark   February 27, 2007 at 2:11PM
More Discussions
Custom Wood Garage Doors
Does anyone know or have experience with wood garage...
linda_1010
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™