What to do with one car garage attached to brick house?!

kirstieJanuary 25, 2010

Here's our problem. We have a detached 2 car garage AND a one car attached garage. We have to drive THROUGH our attached garage to get to our two car garage. It's a narrow garage and a pain to drive through.

We want to demolish the useless garage. Our house and garage are brick and were built in the 40's. Is it possible to remove the garage and refinish the side of the garage is a tasteful way that wouldn't make it obvious that we demolished the garage?

To make matters more complicated, the inside of the garage is painted with lead paint. So once the garage is gone, it would leave a section on the side of our house with painted brick.

Any creative solutions?

Here is a link that might be useful: Our house looks kind of like this one.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

Looks like garage is on left over by the bush. Couple of things would help to know, is the outside wall(1 away from house) on the property line or very close to property line. That would make a lot of difference what you could do. Can you strip paint off wall where brick is painted(might need sandblasting)? I was thinking you might put in a covered carport in that area if you have room to put in necessary supports. It's mostly a roof covering the area then wouldn't be so tight a space to drive through unless existing garage is on property line. Might be nice shady area for kids to play or to sit & talk when not needed as a driveway. In a heavy snow area might make things better or worse having garage gone. Plenty of storage in 2 car garage so you don't need the 1 car garage? Those are questions i would ask myself if it was my place. Hope this helps!

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 10:40PM
More Discussions
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Custom Wood Garage Doors
Does anyone know or have experience with wood garage...
linda_1010
New construction.. Trying to decide on what flooring for garage..
Ok.. So we are building a brand new house and one of...
Jason143NBPD
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™