Fan purchase ?

leprichonJanuary 11, 2009

I am in need of a fan...it will be in my basement (wich is fairly large) and needs to move enough air to ventilate the area from fumes from furniture refinishing...The fan will be placed in a verticle round chimney style duct (that runs up about 25 ft) and it should run fairly quietly...I havent bought an exhaust fan befor, so Im not familiar with judging how much power or air flow I will need the fan to move, or the different styles of mounting, etc...(it should also be strong enough -that when piped - it will create a downdraft in an enclosed area below my table saw)...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zl700

Fans are selected on what type of duty.

Standards are set concerning number of air turns in a space per hour. From memory furniture refinishing is from 6-15x an hour based on amount of product. So your basement LxWxH x changes per hour desired = the cubic feet per minute required (CFM)
Once this is known a fan is selected on performance, economy, electric service, sound rating, location and cost.

Bookmark   January 11, 2009 at 11:18PM
zl700

What is exhausted out must be replaced, in this case with filtered & conditioned air.

It may make you rethink any mass refinishing in the basement

Bookmark   January 11, 2009 at 11:20PM
randy427

zl700,
Your formula should be divided by 60 to give CFM. As is, it calculates cubic feet per hour.

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 12:07PM
zl700

Your right, I usually go with CFH, but for ease of fan selection went with CFM to explain easier and forgot the division, thanks

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 10:15PM
More Discussions
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Shop vacuum
Are there any good 12 -15 amp shop vacs that have 1200-1500...
randalls1
Good material to patch potholes in old garage floor?
I have some pot holes in my 1963 garage floor. The...
griz8312
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™