craftsman gdo sprocket gear and motor repair

glennb_2010January 22, 2010

Looking for help.

I replaced the sprocket and removed the motor assembly. I took off the old bushings and worm gear. I put on the new worm gear and bushings on the motor shaft. I can bearly turn the motor shaft by hand.

Is this ok? I don't want to put it all back up and together and find the shaft is too tight to turn. Or will it be fine with the 1/2 HP.

Please advise.

Thanks...Glenn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

The motor should not be that difficult to turn. I would loosen the worm gear and bushings just a bit and check but they need to be fairly tight. Maybe the bearings are going bad.

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 10:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doorsrus

Hey home owners. Hire a Pro. We make it sound easy because we've done it a hundred times and we have all the right tools. There are a lot a variables that cause the gears to wear out. If you hire a pro they can fix the opener and make sure everything else is working properly so you get the longest life out of your new gear. Homeowners are always having problems with the openers after they try to fix them because the main gear drive may just be a symtom of a problem and not the main problem. A lot of times a mom and pop type door guy is your best bet because they deal with service more, not just new construction so they see these problems every day. Know you limits when it comes to DIY.

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 2:10PM
More Discussions
Sun shines on sensor....
...and garage door will not stay down! Anyone have...
phoggie
Custom Wood Garage Doors
Does anyone know or have experience with wood garage...
linda_1010
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™