removing drive gear roller pin

rusa7January 27, 2007

Hello experts,

I followed the procedures on this forum to expose my drive gear. The drive gear was all chewed up. But I cant seem to get the roller pin off. It seems to be very tight. Is there any trick/tool to remove it. Am I doing something wrong. Should I just insert a screwdriver and hammer the roller pin out.

Help please !!

Sunny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rusa7

I tried with a 5/32" punch but it still doesnt want to seem to come out. I am afraid if I hammer too hard it might bend the shaft. I have tried lubing the roll pin with WD-40 but it hasnt helped. Any other ideas much appreciated.

Sunny

Bookmark   January 27, 2007 at 7:23PM
doorguy06

Make sure the motor housing is still attached. I.E. still slid over the shaft. You may want to put the punch in a set of vice grips, otherwise make sure it is positioned perfectly centered on the roll pin and smack the crap out of it with a hammer. As long as the motor housing is still attached you won't do any damage to the shaft.

Bookmark   January 27, 2007 at 8:26PM
rusa7

doorguy06,

Thanks very much. I had trouble posting back yesterday. I took the gear/sprocket assembly off. Then I had to cut part of the plastic off with a dremel tool to have better access to the roll pin. Then I could hammer it out by holding it in a vice. The roll pin was really tight. Put the new gear in, lubed it well. The garage door is working fine now

Thank you,

Sunny

Bookmark   January 30, 2007 at 8:44AM
More Discussions
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
Mountain of leaves on my driveway
So I acquired a huge pile of leaves that I used for...
bibbus
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™