Craftsman Garage Door Opener Drive/worm gear replacement

SheckyJanuary 16, 2011

Hi. My drive gear is shot on my Craftsman 139.53615SR - 1/2HP garage door opener. I ordered the replacement kit from Sears. I started the repair, but now I'm confused. I cannot lower the motor/bracket assembly because where the drive shaft passes through the motor support plate, there are bushings/collars? directly below the motor support plate. These bushings/collars are above where I removed the limit drive gear/retainer clip. The replacement sprocket assembly does not have these bushings/collars. The original owners manual does not show these bushings/collars. I could take and post a photo if that can be done here. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

I think a picture would be great. You will need to do a search for "how to post photos."

Bookmark   January 17, 2011 at 12:49PM
Shecky

Thanks for the reply Don. Let me know if the link works or not. In the preview it shows one of 3 photos. Click on "Drop Box" or the photo to hopefully bring you to the Picasa album. There are captions to each photo. Thanks again! Drop Box

Bookmark   January 17, 2011 at 7:59PM
don_1_2006

Good photos. At this point you can remove the motor to make it easier to replace the worm gear. 4 screws hold it plus the 4 wires to the start capacitor and a white neutral wire. The gear and sprocket assembly is held in by 3 screws.

Bookmark   January 18, 2011 at 9:39AM
Shecky

Okay. Motor assembly finally removed. What I thought were fittings on the shaft below drive gear were actually integral to the plate itself. My next issue is lack of head-space clearance to pull out the gear and sprocket assembly. As I understand, I will have to unbolt the entire opener assembly from the ceiling to do this, unless there are other options. Thanks Don!

Bookmark   January 19, 2011 at 12:23AM
don_1_2006

If you don't have enough head space you will have to drop the motor end a little. You can usually rest it on the step ladder you are using.

Bookmark   January 19, 2011 at 9:26AM
Shecky

Thanks for all of the help Don - job successful! One thing I noticed before it was too late - I installed the gear sprocket assembly rotated compared to the previous installation. This caused the slot on the top of the sprocket support to be rotated - causing me not being able to install the plastic sprocket cover. I imagine the purpose of the sprocket cover is to keep dust out of the sprocket and to keep the lube from drying out. I need to figure out an alternative as I am not motivated to take the whole thing apart again.

Bookmark   January 24, 2011 at 12:45PM
don_1_2006

I don't blame you for not wanting to take it apart again. I would venture to guess 90% of openers do not have that cover. I wouldn't worry about it.

Bookmark   January 24, 2011 at 4:06PM
don2737

I scanned in the actual printed instruction sheet for this repair, and put in my own pictures here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1347192/lifter/liftmaster_repair.html

The instructions explain about the chain tension. Example photo below is about making sure the RPM sensor cup is seated properly. Check out my "how to" page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liftmaster / Sears gear replacement instructions with pictures

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 10:28PM
thesobie

THANK YOU for this post. My garage door stopped working today and I took it apart and it looks EXACTLY like this (I have the same model opener). I am going to order a gear kit for it, and this post will hopefully save me a ton of heartache trying to replace it.

I registered for this site just to post here and say THANKS!

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 12:03PM
More Discussions
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
Sears GDO does not close
I've searched on the forum without any luck. My Sears...
jerseybob_gw
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
pippit
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Sponsored Products
Essentials Two-Tray Tool Box
$13.99 | zulily
Provincial Collection 25" High Charcoal Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Entryway Storage Closet/ Coat Rack with Drawer
Overstock.com
Eclipse Custom Bathroom Pedestal Vanity - Floating Blue Vetrazzo
Modern Bathroom
HyLoft 24 in. Wall Shelf - 00630
$91.02 | Hayneedle