cleaning wood furniture

nikrugaJuly 27, 2011

Hello,

I am having a really hard time finding something to weekly dust and clean my coffee table, dining room table, and console table. I think all 3 are some kind of painted or stained wood on top and when I just dust with a cloth there is often still marks on them. I have tried Pledge and Murphys Oil spray, and orange cleaner but they leave them so greasy and then when you put vases or dishes down there are circles left behind when you lift them up. The console is pottery barn lina console i don't know if anyone is familiar. i have tried to look up on the web how to clean it but it doesn't really tell you. any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LuAnn_in_PA

I use a bit of lemon oil on a soft cloth.

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 9:25AM
ncfg

All you should have to use is a damp cloth (just water). Maybe twice a year you should use something with an oil base, just too add moisture back to the wood. If you over do the oils it will leave marks all the time and don't use anything with wax. This is what I have always done and works great and costs a lot less.
13 years in furniture business

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 1:13PM
bobismyuncle

First, throw away the Pledge. Silicone oil is like herpes, once you have it, you will never get rid of it.

Regular dusting is best. To remove body oils and foods, as long as the finish is intact and a film forming finish, a cloth dampened with water and a bit of dish detergent, e.g., Dawn will do some cleaning.

I use Guardsman Polish (an emulsion) as a cleaning agent when needed. I've also waxed some furniture. Most people over do the amount and frequency. Less is more for these products. And don't mix them on the same piece, pick one or the other, or neither.

Wood is dead. It does not need to be "fed" or "moisturized." Wood will reach EMC (equilibrium moisture content) based on the ambient temperature and relative humidity, at a rate determined by the moisture-excluding factor of the finish. No finish is 100% moisture excluding.

Here is a link that might be useful: Polishes

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 7:10PM
avadoone

"Silicone oil is like herpes, once you have it, you will never get rid of it."

I couldn't have said it better!

I use a cloth dampened with a bit of soapy water. This works really well for me. I have bloodhounds and they slobber on everything!

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 9:09PM
nikruga

Thanks everyone. I was so worried to use anything with water because I thought it would ruin the wood.

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 6:15PM
lindac

I like a coat of a good paste wax with carnauba on heavily used pieces....then I just clean with a dry or slightly damp cloth. About once a year....or less...I clean with mineral spirits and re wax. I don't do this all over everything just the tops of heavily used pieces.
Linda C

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 12:49AM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

I use Guardsman Polish on all our wood furniture and it's looks like new every day.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 1:32PM
freethinker99

If you need really deep cleaning with light surface sratches use "0000" steel wool with a lot of lemon oil polishing with the grain(I have used "000" when I couldn't find 4). For everyday polishing the best product that is commonly available is "old english" brand polish.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 6:49AM
More Discussions
Couch for Big and Tall Guy
What suggestions would you all offer on what to look...
happs
Furniture Arrangement Help Needed
There's my new great room from overhead. You can't...
bplevyak
Hancock & Moore older leather chair, maybe H&M sofa,can they be saved?
I have an opportunity to pick up this chair and sofa...
aesanford
Where can I find this style bed for less?
We're looking for a new bed and the only bed styles...
pugluv1
Who Are Reputable Made In America/North American Furniture Companies?
I am looking for great-room/living room furniture for...
mothersnood
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™