Craftsman Opener Interrupter Cap Fell Off

kbushJanuary 27, 2009

Hi all,

Interrupter cap fell off, so now the garage door opens a foot or so, then back down. I can't seem to get the cap back on to stay, and it looks like something is broken that kept it on. The opener is almost 15 years old. Anything I can do to fix it myself or am I looking at buying a new opener? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

The interrupter cup just presses onto the motor shaft and is held on by friction. I think your motor shaft is moving and causing the cup to fall off. Check the shaft and you will most likely find an e-clip is missing. It also sounds like your door may be out of balance which caused the problem.

Bookmark   January 27, 2009 at 2:51PM
kbush

Thanks. Can I get an e-clip from a local hardware store and replace it? But, yes, the shaft is moving back and forth. As for balance, that was checked by a tech a few months ago when the door springs broke.

Bookmark   January 27, 2009 at 6:30PM
don_1_2006

You should find the e-clip at Home Depot.

Bookmark   January 28, 2009 at 9:53AM
kbush

Thanks for your help. Now, once I get the e-clip (for whatever size the shaft is), where does it go on the mechanism?

Thanks again.

Bookmark   January 28, 2009 at 11:17AM
don_1_2006

You should see a slot cut into the motor shaft. That is where the clip would go. You may have to dress up the shaft a little bit with a file. Make sure we are right first. It could be the motor bearings are bad.

Bookmark   January 28, 2009 at 12:32PM
kbush

I don't see a cut. I see part of the shaft sticking out the side opposite the logic board etc. Then the worm gear on the other side, then the area where the interrupter cap would go.

I'd just like to do anything I can myself before buying a new opener. :sigh: Everything seems to be breaking now that I lost my job!

Bookmark   January 28, 2009 at 3:22PM
don_1_2006

You may have the model that uses a collar and set screw(s). You will need to loosen the set screws and then press the shaft as far forward as it will go and re-tighten the set screws. Make sure you are pressing the collar towards the motor. You will find all this on the same side as the worm gear.

Bookmark   January 28, 2009 at 4:44PM
kbush

I have no idea. It's a Sears Craftsman 139.53629SRT. I may just live without an opener until I get a job, then replace the whole thing.

Bookmark   January 29, 2009 at 2:43PM
More Discussions
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
pippit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™