Refinish/update 1980's dining room furniture?

dakota01July 19, 2010

I have a 1980's Thomasville dining room set - you know the medium colored fruit ood - china hutch - buffet - gold finish hardware. With my new home I would like something alittle more modern. But, since my parents bought this set for me I don't think I have the "heart" to get rid of it.

A few years ago, I had the caneing removed and fabric put on. The fabric is still like new. A pretty purple w/torquise accents. It's not a 1980's fabric - it looks nicer. Very traditional fabric

I havent' been using the top part of the hutch - it's in storage. I really like the set better w/o it.

Is it worth getting the set refinished/painted black or a deep brown and putting on more modern hardware? Would that give it a more transitional look?

If anyone has done that - can you share some photo's?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WendyB

Jeannie thats an interesting idea. But its hard to tell without seeing the set and the lines of the legs and chairs. Could we see a picture of the set?

You could also consider new chairs or just painting the chairs or mixing chairs. 2 upholstered chairs on the ends might help matters.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 8:05AM
nlion

Jeannie--
I was just about to post my question, but I searched for "dining & refinish" and saw your post. I have the EXACT same question--I also have a 1980's Thomasville (so it's pretty good quality) dining set and I'm considering getting it refinished to update it. Replacing this set today would be close to $10K, I know.

I, too, would like it done over in black to give it a more updated look. I've popped out the seats and reupholstered them myself, with good results. I have a dining table, 2 leaves, 4 side chairs, 2 arm chairs, hutch with glass china cabinet. I use table pads on the dining table at all times because the finish is like glass and a scratch would ruin it...but, now I'm thinking I'd like the top of the dining table to not be so shiny and be more "family friendly." I hope somebody has done this and could possibly give us just a ballpark as to what it may cost.

Thanks!

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 3:51PM
nlion

I forgot to mention what inspired me to start thinking about this. There was a show on HGTV over the weekend (it may have been Designed to Sell, but not sure) where they did this and it turned out fantastic. I, however, am not daring/crazy enough to drag my dining set out to the yard and start painting it with black spray paint. :-)

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 4:01PM
alextampa

I dont know if it would have a more modern look or not. But giving it a makeover will very much make it look nicer.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 1:01PM
dakota01

Nlion - We probably have the same set !! I'm still thinking about having mine re-done in black - but before I do that drastic measure - I am going to try new knobs/pulls. My new home will have oil rubbed bronze hardware and lighting, so I will try to find them in that fininsh. Maybe the will be enough and not using the top part of the hutch will update it enough.

I really want my new home to be transitional- so I may have to get new fabric on the chairs, maybe get rid of the two chairs with the arms and buy two fabric chairs. I have a beautiful, very expensive oriental rug that matches the fabric and drapes, but I may have to find another home for that too.
I think I should wait and see how everything looks in my new home before I take any drastic steps.
Deep down I love my dining room furniture, and it's only used maybe 4 times a year. So I hate to part with it and buy another set.

Maybe someone will give us some other advise to update it - easily.

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 2:18PM
More Discussions
how to buy high end furniture online and save?
Is there a guide to buying highend furniture online? I...
LauraOliver
What happens to returned furniture
We recently received a living room furniture and one...
madness76
Need Beadroom Furniture
Well, two months ago I changed my home furniture. But...
jazmin07
Coaster furniure quality?
I found a dining table and china cabinet online that...
cand1781
Living Room Furniture Recomendations
What brands of living room furniture compare to Durham...
tiffany2009
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™