Anti Fracture Membrane Over Entire Slab?

Tpns28April 16, 2013

I just bought a house and wanted some porcelain tile work done. The slab was poured in december, should i apply anti-fracture membrane for the entire floor or only over cracks? I'm worried that cracks will form over time and will transfer into the tile.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Were control joints used for the slab? If not, then yes, if you want to never have to worry about cracks transferring to your tile, using a membrane would be wise. If you'd rather put the additional money that it will cost into an account to pay for tile repair work down the line, that would be acceptable as well. You may only have a couple of dozen tiles in the whole house that have issues if they used a strong mix for the slab along with the proper mesh and rebar. One way to not have to do either is to use fiber reinforced concrete for the slab. But, that's also more expensive up front, and not a possible choice for you at this point as it would be for others building. But, you WILL deal with one or the other scenario on concrete, so pick your poison. Pay now. Or pay later.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 12:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RonHirseo

I'm in the same boat. How you tell if the concrete floor has rebar? Do I drill holes in it or can I use my stud finder?

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
Somerset Country Hardwood Made in China
After ordering 1650 sf of Somerset Country hardwood,...
blondie859111
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
has anyone put down oiled wood floors?
i fell in love with floors by a company called DuChateau....
Bridget Helm
Marble floor in a high traffic area?
I was planning to purchase marble for the floor in...
lucik77
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™