Garage Door Operates on Its Own

wallace58January 18, 2013

Craftsman 139.53675SRT1 which is 10 yrs old, started closing on its own, then opened and closed on its own about a week ago. This was not continuous but very intermittent. I disconnected the wired manual opener and removed the battery from a wireless keypad. It opened and closed on its own one more time. Nothing for 3 days, then I erased the remote codes and reprogrammed the two car remotes and one hand held remote as advised by an opener company. It has been 3 more days with no phantom operation.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I am afraid to leave the house without unplugging the opener but don't know what else to do except to wait and watch it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Are the openers 'rolling code' units or the older switch position type?

If they are the switch position type you should replace them and the receiver with a rolling code unit.

The security of the rolling codes is MUCH better.

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 5:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sneezye

My current garage door had a similar issue. The problem was that the previous owner had installed the attic floor on top of the wire to the opener, sandwiching it between the plywood and ceiling joists. As the wood expanded and contracted, it wore through the wire and eventually allowed the conductors to touch, causing the door to randomly open. An unlikely scenario, but possible all the same.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™