Dressy casual?

deee_gwMay 17, 2014

Here are the party particulars. Small town in South Georgia, at the Shrine club, surprise 80th birthday for an acquaintance. The invitation said dressy casual and men were specifically asked to wear collars (which made me laugh).

Would a dressy tunic top, dark jeans and espadrilles be okay? Or should I wear dress pants?

Don't want to come across as too fancy but don't want to be disrespectful. DH will probably wear khakis and sperry's. Not sure if he will wear a polo shirt or a button down. Men have it so easy!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RoseAbbey

I would err on the dressier side. I would wear a dress/skirt or dress pants.

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 2:37PM
ellendi

No to jeans. Dress slacks and a nice top or a simple dress. I agree with Rose. It's always best to go dressier. It shows you respect the occasion.

That said, sigh... there will be those in jeans and very casual attire. These days whenever you get a crowd together, it always runs the gamut.

And you are a GW member, so we expect more from you;)

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 2:59PM
dedtired

LOL @ ellendi --yes, we do. I bet there will be everything there, including Levi type jeans and some guy wearing his best t-shirt. I hope not.

I'd rather see you in some dark ankle pants than jeans.

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 3:30PM
Sueb20

Georgia? Summer? I'd wear a sundress.

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 4:21PM
deee_gw

It is supposed to get in the low 60's tonight. It is unseasonably pleasant and dry. My blood is so thinned out from living down here that I would freeze in a sundress.

My dress pants look too churchy so I am going to wear the tunic, navy ankle pants and I am vacillating between ballet flats and wedges.

Thanks for telling me to step away from the dark jeans. If I see anything unusual, like a tuxedo t shirt, I will be sure to report back :)

I am bringing a couple of trays of these so I don't think they will turn me away.

This post was edited by deee on Sat, May 17, 14 at 17:49

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 5:42PM
kswl2

I can almost picture the gathering, dee. It sounds like something in our town. Here the men would all come looking like they are ready for the golf course (or just left it), and the women would wear cotton dresses with cardigans and sandals. It's actually chilly here in central Georgia right now though, so my guess is you will see at least some men and women in jeans. And there are always a few wearing shorts, having skipped over the "dressy" part of the request. Have a great time!

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 7:08PM
justgotabme

I agree with your latest idea of navy ankle pants. It sounds comfy yet perfect for the party.

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 12:19AM
sheilaaus122

well I saw on the forum side that you went and met a color expert from NJ.. now you have to report back on how the guests were attired. :)

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 7:33AM
deee_gw

The party was very sweet. A few men wore jeans but everything was pressed, belted and shirts were tucked in. No tennis shoes. I saw just a few dresses on the women but everyone looked nice.

Most of the guests were sixty and older. What struck me is that almost everyone had their phones put away, even during the lulls. Can you imagine a party with twenty somethings and no phones in sight?

Look on the discussions side if you'd like to read about my encounter with someone from Pantone!

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 8:23AM
More Discussions
Online Furniture Store Question
Has anyone ever purchased from the http://www.the-furniture-store.com...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
Need help for exterior of home!
My husband and I recently bought a 1960's mid century...
betsmurph198
tibbrix
Curtain Height?
My walkout basement ceilings are 9 feet. I like curtains...
mattypies
Does anyone know how to find a painting seen in a movie?
About a month ago, we were going out for dinner and...
pickyshopper
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™