Garage Door Installation

deegcomJanuary 7, 2009

Recently purchased Raynor Centura garage doors, beautiful doors. After the installation, noticed that the contractor did not install the torsion springs that I paid for, but rather regular springs. After discussion, they are returning next week to install the torsion springs that I paid for. Next question, noticed that the brackets from the ceiling were not replaced, but rather the 30 year old rusty ones were left up. When I questioned the contractor on this, he said that they do not normally replace these as the 30 year old rusted ones are stronger than anything that they would be replaced with. Can someone out there please advise as I find this hard to believe, but need some professional input. Thanks in advance to anyone out there who can answer this question...This is the first time that I am replacing garage doors and not too familiar with this type of installation...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doorguy06

The brackets your referring to are known as drops in the garage door world. I do not replace them unless they are bad. It is not at all uncommon to reuse the old drops. And he is correct if you have solid iron drops up right now they are much stronger than the perforated angle that is used today.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 1:59AM
More Discussions
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
pippit
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™