How much lipping/unevenness is expected with 1/8 inch grout lines

jerseygirl07067April 28, 2012

This is a spinoff of my other thread about the chipping.

We just had 18 x 18 tile installed with 1/8 inch grout lines. The tile looks really nice at first, but we've noticed there is a lot of unevenness to it. The tiles look really uneven in places. I know that this will be more apparent with smaller grout lines, but how much is acceptable?

I also wonder if it's contributing to the chipping problem I was asking about under my other thread, since things can catch on the tile edges so easily because they're uneven.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Floortech

There is an installation issue after reading your other post. A re-grout may eliminate much of what you are seeing.When too much is wiped away...it does not look right and things will catch on the edges.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 5:25PM
PRO
Avanti Tile & Stone (Stonetech)

With a tile of that size, a FLAT substrate is essential!

It should NOT be more than 1/8" out of level in 8-10 feet.

Did you check that? Is is concrete or Post & Beam? With the larger foremat tiles....flat is extremely important if you want no lippage. In addition, 1/8" is VERY small and difficult to work with. I tell my clients to go with a 3/16" grout joint....and only if it's "rectified porcelean."

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 5:51PM
jerseygirl07067

Thanks for the info. The install was over a concrete slab. It was rectified tile too. I did check the lippage and it is definitely not 1/8" out of level. It's probably between 1/16 and 1/8 in the worst spots. Most others are much less than that when I actually measured. . I didn't expect it to be such a small difference, but the small grout times make it more obvious.

We will try to regrout some of the areas and see if that helps. Our installer is going to come back to fix something else related to a different job. There is one area of lippage that's right near our refrigerator that's probably the worst one again, between 1/16 and 1/8. We may have him redo that one since it's in a very noticeable area.

Maybe we should have gone with a slightly larger grout line. Well, what's done is done. Honestly it still looks nice though, I just wanted to make sure I'm not being too picky.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 10:22PM
PRO
Avanti Tile & Stone (Stonetech)

Just for future reference, establishing a minimum grout width should be done this way: Measure across numerous tiles, as they generally will vary a bit in size. Take the difference between the smallest and the largest tiles. An eighth of an inch, for example. With a variation of 1/8" you need to triple that number for your grout width. In this example, 3/8" is needed....

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 12:24PM
More Discussions
LVP plank and tile flooring pulling apart at seams.
We installed a LVP this spring into our new addition....
moledro
cleaning hardwood floors & tile floors
What's best way to clean hardwood floors.... how can...
kat123
Chinese Hardwood Flooring - After Lumber Liquidators & 60 Minutes
Wondering how folks are now feeling about buying imported...
Ken Fisher
Brazilian Cherry with infloor heat, rug or no rug
We just got our in floor heat installed in the sunroom. Hoping...
sewwhatsnew
concret floors
can you put linoleum on bare concret floors
marykwiley
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™