Garage ceiling reline/insulation question

pjb999January 13, 2007

My garage was originally a carport. To my surprise I discovered the ceiling's actually thin plywood, whereas the walls are drywall. I doubt it's wise (or legal) from a fire point of view. I was just going to put drywall directly over it, I don't care if it puckers or not, it's a garage. I did then think, with the wisdom brought on by winter (my bedroom floor, which is over the garage, has been getting awfully cold. I was thinking of putting battens up, then sheet foam insulation (I guess that goes inbetween) and drywall/sheetrock over it, but then thought maybe I should check what's up in there, if its's insulated at all, at the moment it wouldn't be hard to pull the ceiling off - and I want to get that sorted now, so I can start building shelving in there etc.

It also occurred to me that I could drill holes at intervals in the ceiling and put expanding foam up there, although would that creat issues if it covers wires? Wouldn't want any overheating, not to mention it'd probably stop me fishing wires through in the future - although for one, if it's already insulated, that'd be difficult anyway, and for another, I can always surface mount in conduit.

Only downside I can see is garage will lose some of its default heating, (the garage rarely drops below freezing thanks to the dryer outlet pipe running through garage and out wall (so not venting into garage, but heat comes from the pipe) plus leakage of heat from the house - but floor in master b/r will feel a little nicer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

If you have living space above a garage the ceiling needs to be a fire rated construction.

Bookmark   January 23, 2007 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Need help diagnosing Chamberlain Garage Door Problem
Hi, Have a 1/3 Chamberlain Liftmaster that started...
koalb01
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Allister GDO not closing with remote
Having a problem with my Allister Access 3500 GDO not...
irishh7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™