Minimum width for a side-entry driveway?

jack427January 13, 2013

My bungalow-style house has a basement with a walk-out on the side and a side yard 28 feet wide. I want to knock out the wall and park in the basement. Is 28 feet wide enough to accommodate the driveway, including the turn into the side-entry garage?

I believe that there is no setback requirement for driveways in my area (or that I could obtain a waiver, given that zero-setback driveways are fairly common in my neighborhood).

Also note that I'm okay with a "minimal" rather than "generous" solution. My neighborhood is older, and of the houses that even have garages (most don't), those garages tend to be barely big enough to fit a car in. I do not care about sizing this to accommodate a Hummer or full-size long-bed pickup truck.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

How wide will the garage door be?
With 28' to work with, I'd hope for at least a 10' doorway.
Driving in is less of a problem that backing out. You might try mocking up the layout in a parking lot and testing your maneuvering on a rainey night. You might finding that making the driveway extra-wide is helpful, also.
JMHO

Bookmark   January 16, 2013 at 3:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Bridget Helm

my garage is is a side entry (20x21feet) and the driveway in front of it is 19 feet. so we have a 12 foot wide driveway that turns into 19 feet in the area that is used to drive into the garage. i back out of the garage and stay in reverse all the way down the driveway when leaving the house. hope this helps

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 6:48PM
More Discussions
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Sun shines on sensor....
...and garage door will not stay down! Anyone have...
phoggie
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™