Chimney installation questions...

mlo1December 3, 2007

One and a half story craftsmsn style home. The 2nd story exterior wall is in-set 5' over the first story where the wood stove will be located beneath. The chimney will basically run up through the cieling of the first story and along side (outside) the 2nd story wall. The chimney will need to go through TJI trusses that are actually sheeted with 3/4" subfloor, through a hip mono-truss soffit area, and up along side the 2nd story wall, then through the 2nd story soffit/truss tails and out the roof 4'.

Seems the typical attachment to support the chimney is a "support box" that mounts between the TJI's. Problem is, the support box "centers" the pipe. For the chimney to line-up with windows, truss tails, etc., the pipe needs to be offset in the 2nd floor TJI cavity. Near fully to one side of the TJI cavity.

Is there a support/mount that will hold 15' of 6" double wall chimney which can mount to the wall inside the mono truss cavity instead of a support box between the TJI floor joists?

How much room is needed between the outside 2nd story wall and the 6" chimney pipe for flashings to be nicely installed and roofing material fitted, on the homes weather exposure side?

I know 2" is minimum double wall pipe clearance, but seems that is in-sufficient for a flashed and correctly roofed exposed opening (no boxed chimney chase). Almost as if the flashing would be right up against the 2nd story wall finish.

I'm ready to roof a new construction home and want this install right from the beggining. The local installers seem to prefer hacking it up after the roofing is applied. As they say "it's always done that way".

Any insight is appreciated, Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christopherh

I wouls take that question to www.hearth.com and have the experts answer it.

Bookmark   December 4, 2007 at 7:58AM
More Discussions
Putting television IN firebox of fireplace
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've searched...
sherrgr
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
HeatnGlo Mezzo 48 or Napolean Linear LHD50
Please help guide me! We are building a new home and...
supcar1
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Sponsored Products
Handy Home Somerset Storage Shed - 10 x 14 ft. - 18414-7
Hayneedle
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Progress Lighting AirPro Builder 52 in. Antique Bronze Ceil
Home Depot
Juno Lighting Hardware Pro-Series Direct Wire Module for Under-Cabinet Light
$8.97 | Home Depot
Sample-Octave Pattern Jerusaem Gold With Wood Onyx Dot Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Crystorama 522-SA Palla Wall Sconce - 12W in. - Antique Sliver - 522-SA
$398.00 | Hayneedle
Swag Paper Mosaic Self-Adhesive Wallpaper - MOSAICPAP4
$56.25 | Hayneedle
Lithonia Lighting Emergency Lighting Plastic White LED Emergency Exit Sign with
$64.99 | Home Depot
Household Essentials Clothes Drying Lines Steel For Use With 15-7 Post Assembly